cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-Exec & Dominos Server

stefan_st
Level 3
hi all,
I have  Backup-Exec 9.1 with the Dominos agent backing up Dominos r6.5.1 on a nightly basis

Every now and then (due to a tape/tape-drive malfunction) the backup stalls on loading the media and can't be canceled from the Veritus console (console does not respond tobackup cancel requests).

Stopping and starting the Veritus backup service frees the Veritus console, and then I can run the backup.

Now here's the Dominos issue:  Within 50 minutes of having stop/started of the Veritus backup services and initiating backup, the Dominos service abruptly terminates.  No more e-mail.  In which case the server either reboots after a certain amount of downtime or needs to be started by myself.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?  Any ideas on what's happening?

Stefan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

c_john
Level 3
 Hi Stefan, 

I've used BE 9.1 + domio 6.5.1 .

Install BE9.1 update (4691) and then your hang service problem should sort out

For ur email , make sure that remote agent and domino agent ok , 

Under selection , right click domino server and check properties , agent version shoud be same as server .

You shd be able to see all details if not then agent got corrupted.. Reinstall

If ok then backup only notes for a  while and monitor the console screen as backup start , make sure you do not have any lotus program scheduled during backup.

Hope that helps

John

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

1. Stop all Backup Exec Services on the media server and the Remote Lotus Server.
2. Open the Windows Registry Editor by going to START > RUN and typing regedit
3. Highlight the following registry key: HKLM\software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino
4.Change the value on the right of Enable change Journal to 0 (Default value is 1)
5.Change the value on the right of Enable notes Database Filtering  to 0 (Default value is 1)
6. Start all Backup Exec Services on the media server AND the Remote Lotus Server.

For the Device:
1. Go to the Media TAB, right click the server name and click on Paused, wait for 4 to 5 seconds and Unpause it again.

Hope this helps...

Carls
Level 4
 Hi Stefan,
Did you check the log files any reported errors (both domino and BE) ?
that would be the place where you should start.

Carl

stefan_st
Level 3
 hi Dev thanks, tried what you suggested, but still no luck

Carl - The logs for Dominos seem to be scant, simply ending abruptly w/out precursor to an issue.  

Can I enable a more detailed logging for dominos?

BernyR
Level 3
 What OS? Is it windows? I'm inclined to check the OS logs as well, and next time it happens, keep an eye on CPU and memory usage. 

I've had issues before where stopping services for crashed programs on windows doesn't release the memory and can create issues as you describe. Especially if you are then starting the service again and initiating a backup - putting extra load on the server... Worth a look anyway.

Berny

c_john
Level 3
 Hi Stefan, 

I've used BE 9.1 + domio 6.5.1 .

Install BE9.1 update (4691) and then your hang service problem should sort out

For ur email , make sure that remote agent and domino agent ok , 

Under selection , right click domino server and check properties , agent version shoud be same as server .

You shd be able to see all details if not then agent got corrupted.. Reinstall

If ok then backup only notes for a  while and monitor the console screen as backup start , make sure you do not have any lotus program scheduled during backup.

Hope that helps

John

stefan_st
Level 3
 John:
regarding the agent version yoiu said:
  > under selection , right click domino server and check properties

Is this from the Server Manager for Dominos?
if so, I can't seem to locate it

Berny:
it's windows 2003.  The logs indicate that the dominos service terminated unexpectedly, but that's it.

c_john
Level 3
 Stefan,
No i was referring to BE Selection list.

look for ur Domino server in the selection list and check its properties , the details should be similar to the server .

John