cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - Exchange 2010 - Killes Job Engine

Level 3

I have a support contract but no one in India apparently knows how to call people back or respond to an issue. So I will try this route:

Whenever we backup Exhange Server 2010 the Job Engine dies with Catalogue Issues. After deleting all the catalogs I can do a couple of backups before the issue starts happening again.  THe geniuses at Symantec have told me to reboot the server, reinstall in repair mode, and other things about as simplistic.  Has anyone else ever seen this type of behaivor?

The Event Logs show:Event ID 1005

Windows cannot access the file C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\SVR-BACKUP\{29B204F0-87FE-48AD-9E8D-17F43DCF53C5}_29.fh for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Backup Exec Job Engine because of this error.

6 REPLIES 6

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe you are using Backup Exec 2010 R1. If that's the case upgrade to 2010 R2, update it with latest patches and check if it helps. 

Upgrade from BE 2010 R1 to 2010 R2 is a free upgrade.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Windows cannot access the file C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\SVR-BACKUP\{29B204F0-87FE-48AD-9E8D-17F43DCF53C5}_29.fh

Remove this file/folder from your backup selection and see whether the failure still occurs.

Level 3

pkh....we have removed and deleted all catalog files....we have even changed the catalog directory. BUt after a few exchange backup the problem reappears.....

sbora.... we have 2010 13.0 Rev 2896.....and are downloading and installing 2010 R2 SP1...Symantec Support just had us run LiveUpdate (which was already up to date) and then considered this not an issue....

Anyway we are installing R2 Sp1 and will update you on progress.

Tech Support Update:

After no callback yesterday for Symantec Support after waiting on hold again.... we called back again today and they promise a call within 2 hours.... we shall see... they say they have escalated us again but we have heard that before... THe issue has been alive with them since Feb 27

Level 3

TEch Support Had us update to R2 SP1...We are running it for a few days of backups to see what happens

Level 3

Symantec has escalated the issue to Third Level. This has been as useless as the people from india.

Third level support had us upgrade to R2 SP1... Since MOnday they have been aware that it did not solve the issue. They were supposed to call us on Monday and it is Thursday..........

What is the Point.....3 weeks and No support!!!!

Level 3

Symantec now considers this a real problem with a hotfix comming

See 

http://clientui-kb.symantec.com:80/kb/index?page=content&id=TECH154849

Backup Exec Job Engine (BENGINE.EXE) terminates in catxml.dll during Exchange GRT backup

Article: TECH154849  |  Created: 2011-03-04  |  Updated: 2011-03-04