cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Job Hanging

Olumide_Onibono
Level 3
Hi Folks

I have a site server that runs on a Dell 2600 with ultra 160 scsi controller on it.The drive type is BNCHMARK DLT1 and the backup exec version is 9.1.This Dell Box Houses an Exchange 5.5 server also.The problem is after some time the backup Job Just hangs and at this point,i notice that the Information store uses about 800MB of memory(The Server is 2GB!)I have earlier escalated to veritas who recommended installing service pack 2 this did not solve the problem.I was also advised to copy a particular .dll file into the exec program folder,this also did not work.The temporary solution i have been able to discover is rebooting the machine,this solves the problem for about a week after which its back to square one.Pls i need a lot of help in solving this as i cannot keep on rebooting the server.
11 REPLIES 11

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to the previous replies to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Olumide_Onibono
Level 3
HI

I have not gotten any kind of reply at all.This,in fact is the first i have gotten.Am i missing something here???

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please ignore the earlier mail as it was sent my mistake.
We apologize for the inconvinience caused.
If the job is hanging at the queues status please follow the steps below.

1 Check the alerts tab and make sure there aren’t any alerts preventing the job from running
2. Check to make sure there aren’t any other jobs that are paused or pending that might be preventing this job from running
3. Check the devices tab to make sure the tapedevice is listed and online

Are you running duplicate jobs?

Are you using AOFO with Exchange ?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Olumide_Onibono
Level 3
Hi

Thanks for the prompt response.There are no errors in the Alert tab,the tape drive is online and there are no other jobs pending.We currently do not use AOFO.

Pls Help!!!

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Are you backing up the mailboxes and the information store both in this backup?
Also from you rposts it seems like the exchange is locally installed on the backup exec server.
2. Please check if the tape you are using is full at the point where it hangs.
3. If you do not have SP2 installed, please install it from the foll link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275247

4. Try the same backup with windows NT backup and check if the issue persists.

5. You may also try the backup to disk to isolate the hardware issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Olumide_Onibono
Level 3
Hi

The backup size is about 30GB and the drive is SDLT.It does the same thing even with a new SDLT tape so its established that the tape is fine.I also stated in the first post that i have already installed service pack 2 but does not solve my problem.Could i get some help here.

Thanks

PS I am backing up mailboxes as i have an exchange installation on the backup exec media server(see first post for details)

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please apply the following hotfix and refer the technote provided as well.

9.1.4691 Hotfix 47 - Exchange Mailbox Backups (Backing up Microsoft Exchange mailboxes may cause the backup job to hang) *Requires Backup Exec 9.1.4691 Service Pack 2
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275354

Title:
Microsoft Exchange mailboxes backed up via the Microsoft Exchange Agent hang in random locations within the backup set.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267437

Olumide_Onibono
Level 3
Hi Folks!

This is getting a little frustating! I have mentioned twive now that i have installed SP2 and it has not solved the problem.Can i get some actual help here pls?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Using a new tape does not prove that your device is working fine. We are talking here about the device you are using not the tape that it uses.

The issue could occur due to a hardware problem also that is the reason you were asked to backup to disk and check. Have you done so?

2. Also you were asked to do an NT backup. Now, these tests are purely for diagnostic purposes since we have no way of looking at your logs.

3. There was a second technote given to you along with the SP2 link (For which we apologise profusely). Did you refer to the second technote? You may also try running the backup after stopping any anitvirus that is running on the server.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Olumide_Onibono
Level 3
Hi
Yes i have tried stopping the Antivirus software but that didnt work.I cant try the backup to disk option now because like i mentioned earlier,this happens at specific times and at that time i notice that the memory that the Info store is using actually approches 1Gb which is the real problem.If i do an NTBackup now It will NOT fail because when the server is rebooted it solves the problem for 2 or 3 weeks then the job hangs again.I will consult the second technote but in the meantime do you have any other suggestions?

Ashwin_Apte
Level 4
Hi Olumide,

There seems to have been a lot of confusion in your thread.

You have installed Service Pack 2, but you have not yet installed the HF 47 which needs to be installed separate from service pack 2.

So install the hotfix #47 from the Link mentioned in Amruta´s response and see if it helps.

Also check if your Mailbox backups are hanging on one specific mailbox (if they are try excluding that mailbox from backups and then see if the backup succeeds) or after a specific amount of data is being backed up.

Also if your Anti-virus supports use of Vapi mode of scanning then try changing the Vapi mode to Mapi mode of scanning and then run a test backup.

- Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.
----------------------------------------------------------------------