Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec LEO Violation for VTL

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

I have Backup Exec 2014 with an HP Storeonce 2700 configured as a VTL. The VUDO licence is installed but I'm getting  LEO alerts saying that I have I 0 drives licenced and I need to disable some drives.

I'm pretty certain the below is my problem but it's not clear what I need to do to fix it. I think I need to change the SCSI Inquiry string as I don't have anything in the ADAMM log with ",VTL" in as the device type. I can't see anyway to change the SCSI Inquiry string on the HP as the only reference is to select the HP library emulation (I've gone for an MSL G3 4048) which is says then determines the Inquiry string sent to the backup application. How do I get Backup Exec to know it's a VTL and not a physical MSL4048? 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vtl-configuration
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH144471

thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

How do I get Backup Exec to know it's a VTL and not a physical MSL4048? 

You must have your 2700 configured to report the "HP^^^^^^D2DBS" inquiry string to BE, after which BE will know it is a VTL and apply the VUDO license.  If the 2700 is configured to report as "HP^^^^^^MSL^G3^Series", then BE will assume it is a physical library and expect LEOs.

You can check the string in the Properties tab of the robotic library in the field called "primary inquiry string".

from http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-1999ENW.pdf

Backup Exec supports both HP StoreOnce NAS and VTL interfaces. It is important to note that Symantec requires that virtual tape devices use a unique inquiry string listed in the Backup Exec Hardware Compatibility List. When using a StoreOnce VTL emulation, select the library inquiry string “D2DBS.” Emulating other devices is not supported. Additional licensing may be required.

If that doesn't resolve things, please post your adamm.log here.

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What the TN is stating is that a VTL inquiry string has to be seen by Backup Exec in order for the VUDO license (and not the LEO one) to apply.

If your VTL is configured to emulate a real tape liberary then it will be returning a string which makes the device look like real hardware and not a VTL. To change this you need to refer either the hardware vendor's documentation, or actually contact the support organization for the hardware vendor.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you followed the second TN and made those changes (after saving the registry first)?

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

How do I get Backup Exec to know it's a VTL and not a physical MSL4048? 

You must have your 2700 configured to report the "HP^^^^^^D2DBS" inquiry string to BE, after which BE will know it is a VTL and apply the VUDO license.  If the 2700 is configured to report as "HP^^^^^^MSL^G3^Series", then BE will assume it is a physical library and expect LEOs.

You can check the string in the Properties tab of the robotic library in the field called "primary inquiry string".

from http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-1999ENW.pdf

Backup Exec supports both HP StoreOnce NAS and VTL interfaces. It is important to note that Symantec requires that virtual tape devices use a unique inquiry string listed in the Backup Exec Hardware Compatibility List. When using a StoreOnce VTL emulation, select the library inquiry string “D2DBS.” Emulating other devices is not supported. Additional licensing may be required.

If that doesn't resolve things, please post your adamm.log here.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What the TN is stating is that a VTL inquiry string has to be seen by Backup Exec in order for the VUDO license (and not the LEO one) to apply.

If your VTL is configured to emulate a real tape liberary then it will be returning a string which makes the device look like real hardware and not a VTL. To change this you need to refer either the hardware vendor's documentation, or actually contact the support organization for the hardware vendor.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Thanks to all three of you for lightening responses :o)

I think the penny is dropping - thanks. I did see an option for D2DBS on the D2D 2700 but didn't select it in favour of the HP MSL4048... I guess this is where I went wrong as I didn't see the bit that Larry has pointed out.

I'll try that and report back but pretty certain you guys have nailed it for me.

cheers

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Yep - all good

Thanks very much