cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec- Lost on how to properly append or overwrite to NAS

Neil_Tech
Not applicable

Greetings.  I am a bit lost as I have never implemented a server backup solution.  I took over this role very recently to learn that the backup solution in place does not work.  So I purchased Backup Exec 2010R3 core license and have set up a backup for on server.  (one at time right now till I get this all figured out).

Currently, I am backing up 1 core server with about 1.1 TB of data to a to a 9TB NAS device.  This Full Backup job is set to write to the Nas every Saturday night, and another job writes differentials every weeknight (M-F).

I would like to keep about 3-4 weeks worth of backup data, but at the moment, I don't believe I have that much space available on the NAS.

Should I set the Full Backup job to overwrite everyweek?  Or append?

Neil~

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From Tools\Options\Media Management make sure you select the option to "use scratch media before overwriteable media in the target media set"

Then set an OPP (Overwrite period) for your media sets that is about a two days less than the capacity of the NAS .   Assumoing your DIFFs are 100GB, you can get about six weeks on the NAS, so set the the OPP to 40 days

Backup Exec will use up all the available space on the NAS volume before re-using/overwriting any of the old files

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do NOT set your media management (go to Tools ---> Options) to use scratch first.  You should use this

If you set it to use scratch first, then BE will occasionally create a new .bkf file instead of re-using existing ones.  This will fill up your disk and when your disk is full, your job will FAIL.  It will not re-use your existing .bkf when your disk is full.

As for your disk problem, since your full backup is 1.1TB, keeping 4 - 5 weeks worth of full backups will use up more than half your disk space.  What you can do is to keep only 1 or 2 copies of your differential backups.  All you need for a full restore is your last full backup and your last differential backup.  You don't need to keep 4 - 5 weeks worth of differential backups.  Alternatively, you can use switch your daily backups to incremental backup which are smaller, but for a full restore you need the last full backup and all your incremental backups.

Lastly, if need be, get a bigger disk or a few more disk.

For backup to disk, do not use append.  It does not give you any advantage.  Always use overwrite.