cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Quickstart - DLO Installation

ade_1
Level 2
Hi, I'm running Backup Exec Quickstart 12.5 and am unable to install the DLO option on my media server. When I look at the license information in BE it shows ;- "DLO (Support for 5 users included with Backup Exec" as licensed, but not installed. When I run "Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server" the "Desktop and Laptop" option is listed under "Options NOT available for evaluation". On the "Backup Exec Installation Review" screen, there is a notice that says "Free DLO Support for 5 Users included with Backup Exec. You can install the DLO with support for five users....To install, scroll to the top and click DLO (support for 5 users included with Backup Exec)" Unfortunately that option is not present...no matter how far up I scroll :-) The server is Windows 2003. Any help is greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Hmm Quickstart Edition is a limited version of Backup Exec that is only sold by server and tape device hardware vendors and is deliberately limited in functionality as it is only really intended to help you backup the local server itself. As DLO allows you to backup a workstation (which takes you outside of the brief of protecting the server) I am not surpirsed that the 5 user option might be disabled.

What you might not realize is that the Install CD/DVD  for the Quickstart Edition is exactly the same as the full release - what makes a difference to what you have available for install is what type of serial number (or numbers) you enter for the core product and for the options. As such some of the information and screens you might see will not apply to the Quickstart Edition.

As direct support for the Quickstart Edition is provided by the hardware vendors and not via Symantec (the hardware vendors pass issues to us when they need to) to get more information on what options are available to be used with Quickstart then I would suggest you speak to your hardware vendor

BTW the not being able to evaluate DLO statement is true for all editions of BE - you either use the free 5 user version or add licenses appropriate to the size of your workstation backup requirements.

Your other option is of course to buy a standard Media Server License and replace the Quickstart license with the  new license which I suspect will enable the DLO 5 users license

ade_1
Level 2
Thanks for your help Colin.  I've got a Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 Quickstart datasheet that came with the backup device that states 'Quickstart edition offers both 128 or 256 bit AES data encryption before transfer to disk or tape, and now also includes a five system license of the Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option.'  The license info in the software also shows that we are licensed for the "DLO (Support for 5 users included with Backup Exec"

As you suggest, I'll raise a support request with the hardware vendor.

Thanks again for your help.