cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent

Paul_Boxell
Level 3

I recently upgraded one of my servers from Server 2000 Advanced Server to Server 2003 Standard SP2, 64 bit.  It was actually a clean install as there is no upgrade path between those two OS versions.  After upgrading, I have tried several ways to install the Backup Exec 2010 Remote Agent for Windows.  I have pushed the install from a 32-bit media server, copied the install package to the new server and run it manually there, installed from the installation DVD, and pushed the install from a 64-bit media server.  In all cases, the Remote Agent service will not start on the new server.  Each attempt creates two entries in the System Event log with source Service Control Manager.  The first is event ID 7009:  "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service to connect."  The second is event ID 7000:  "The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service failed to start due to the following error:  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

What might be causing this and how do I correct it?

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What version of BE are you using?  Did you use the 64-bit version of the remote agent?

Paul_Boxell
Level 3

We are using Backup Exec 2010.  I assume the push install and the DVD install would use the proper, 64-bit pacakge.  When I copied the install package and installed manually I did use the 64-bit package.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried manually starting the BE remote agent service on the remote server?

Paul_Boxell
Level 3

Many times.  Each attempt generates the pair of event log entries described in the initial post.

Siddh
Level 4

Go to path C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open services file in notepad create the entry as

NDMP              10000/tcp                           #Network Data Management Protocol

then save the file and try starting the service.

Paul_Boxell
Level 3

I entered the line in the services file as you described, but the service still will not start.  The same error appears as before.

Paul_Boxell
Level 3

I entered the command "beremote.exe -console" on the remote agent server.  This created the error message "This application has failed to start because libvxSigComp2.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem."  I have re-installed the agent in the past with no effect, though I may attempt it again.  Also, the file libvxSigComp2.dll does exist in the same directory with the beremote.exe application, %program files%\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS.  There is a second version of the file with a later time stamp in the directory %program files%\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\x86.