cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Synology NAS

Micah_H
Level 3

All:

I am working on getting Backup Exec 2010 R2 to backup a NAS that was recently purchase.  The NAS specifically is a Synology DS412+ that is joined to a Windows domain (simulated Windows environment) and uses domain credentials for permissions on the folders.  I am able to add this device as a User Defined Share which shows all of the folders and files on the NAS however when it attempts to backup the data it tells me that the credentials are invalid.  The device does not have an NDMP service running.  I've also tried using the NAS admin credentials with no success.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

teiva-boy
Level 6

Well I can tell you NDMP is not what you are after, those low end NAS devices don't support it, it's meant for the likes of EMC, Netapp, Hitachi, etc...

You're almost there, have you tried a Domain admin account from the synology as credentials?

Micah_H
Level 3

I have tried that.  That is actually the default account.  The interesting thing is that I am watching the connections that the media server tries to make to the NAS and it constantly tries port 10000 which is the port used with Remote Agents.  That is the only port that I see it trying to use when testing the backup.  I would have thought that it would use something like port 139 or 445.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Please go the the article below which says the compatibility:-

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH14963

Backup Exec will not be able to back up NAS Devices that are not using the Windows 2000/2003 Operating System or that is emulating the Windows Operating System.

CIFS shares that are hosted on a NAS system can be backed up.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE CAN backup those NAS devices and I've done this before...however, I used BE 2010 R3 in my case as it seemed to support the Iomega NAS's we use a lot better than previous versions.

Just add the BE service account as an admin account on that NAS and try it again.

Micah_H
Level 3

Thanks CraigV.  I have most definitely done that with no success.  I am still hung up on why it keeps trying to back up the NAS like it has a Remote Agent installed instead of via a CIFS share.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...It will always give you that message, don't worry about it.

Otherwise make sure you can ping the NAS via name & IP and that it resolves both ways. If not, try adding in the NAS's details in the media server's hosts file.

Micah_H
Level 3

We are able to connect using NETBIOS name, IP Address, and FQDN.  The shares and files also show up after the User Defined Selection is expanded.  I was watching the ports being used by Backup Exec when connecting to the IP address and only saw 10000 being used which is why I questioned that. 

The other thing that I tried was to take the NAS out of the equation.  I tried adding a Windows Server 2003 share (without remote agent installed) to the User Defined Selections and received the same error, even though the logon account is a domain admin with full rights to the share.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Silly question but do you have the remote agent license installed.?

did you had look of the followin document 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH148189

Micah_H
Level 3

Not a silly question and yes the Windows Remote Agent is showing as being installed.  I have referenced that article.  The NAS does not support NDMP so by default it's not enabled. I also tried changing the port for NDMP on the media server and I basically get the same results where the media server only tries to connect to the share on the port that I changed it to for example 3398.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

IS there any other application using port 10000 on the NAS?  can u upload the beremote log file ?

But If its not supported I dont think its wise to spend time trying to make it work.

Check if it is Firewall or DNS conflict or misconfiguration.  Make sure that both the media server and NAs box are able to resolve each other's name to the proper IP Address and any firewalls are configured properly

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the exact error which you receive ?

And how exactly did you check for the presence of the RAWS license ? Was it from Tools - Install Options and License keys ?

Is "Enable selection of user shares" from Tools - Options - Network & Security checked ?

sachindtorne
Not applicable

Dear All Gurus,

I am newbie. can u tell how to download netbackup 7.5  for linux(Centos 5/REDHAT  ) platfrom.

Please help me 

Thanks In Advance.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hey there,

We have a separate section for NBU folks...anyways, downloading is via the Fileconnect portal (https://fileconnect.symantec.com/LangSelection.jsp), it requires a serial number for access...This is present in the purchase/sales order, else you may contact Customer Care for assistance...

Micah_H
Level 3

The firewall and DNS are checking out ok.  Connectivity isn't the issue as I can connect fine using many methods.

To check for the RAW license I went under Help -> About -> License Information and in the Installed field it says 'Yes' for the Remote Agent for Windows Systems.  If I go under Tools -> Install Options it shows the following under license description "Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers".

Ashfaq2305
Level 2

Hi

I have 3 Synology RS812RP+ NAS and I used BE 2012 to backup up my files. I do not have any domain controllers and all servers are on workgroup. 

I was able to use BE to backup my files using the admin credentials of the NAS but with some errors, some folders were not backed up. I get an error message saying invalid direcrory. However, this seems to be an error with the synology server and not BE.

Furthermore, I dont have any agents installed on it and I can only perform full backup ant not incremental which suits my needs.

Hope this helps.

Regards

EA