cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and CPS

Jonpy
Level 3
Partner
Can a server which is running Backup Exec Continuous Management Service also be a Business Server if it is also a Backup Exec media server?
I think Backup Exec forces me to uninstall the Backup Exec Remote agent for Windows Systems and I think this required by CPS. Can someone please clarify?

Cheers

Jonpy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You can have the  CPS and the backup exec Installed on the same server though its not recommended  ... Business server is the server where you have the storage for the replication data . If you have the CPS installed on the media server you do not need to install CPS agent on the same ... You cannot have the destination configured as the same server in CPS

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
You may install CPS and Backup Exec on the same server. When you install Backup Exec, remote agent  will get

automatically installed along with the BE.

Jonpy
Level 3
Partner
Hi AmolZeroCool

Thanks for the response, Backup Exec specially would not install with the Remote Agent for CPS already installed, therefore I had to remove it.

When I attempt to reinstall the remote agent for CPS it is greyed out. The CPS console etc is installed OK, but I am not able to perform any CPS jobs for this server. I can for another server in the same Backup Group.

The documentation says that the Backup Exec Continuous Management Service can be installed on a server which will also be a Business Server; however I am trying to clarify if the I’m having a problem because the server is also a Backup Exec media server.

Cheers

Jonpy

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You can have the  CPS and the backup exec Installed on the same server though its not recommended  ... Business server is the server where you have the storage for the replication data . If you have the CPS installed on the media server you do not need to install CPS agent on the same ... You cannot have the destination configured as the same server in CPS

Jonpy
Level 3
Partner
Thanks Rahul

I've just stumbled upon this with testing.

The main point is that I cannot have the destination configured as the same server in CPS.
I’ve created separate Backup Destinations and mapped them to the other server.
I'm going to basically map iSCSI targets in the opposite way I planned, a bit counter intuitive but I'll be able to replicate the data I require.

Cheers

Jonpy