cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and DAOS

Fabio_Grasso
Level 2

Hello all,

i've some problem about timeout when backup a Domino server with DAOS. Reading on the forum I've found that the solution is to change this vaulue on the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\DAOS listnlo mode

Value:  1
Description:  No LISTNLO during backups

Using this value forces the Domino Agent not to call LISTNLO during backups. Although the NLO files are backed up, no NLO references are backed up. When this value is set, LISTNLO is never called for either full or partial Domino server backup jobs. As a result, NLO references do not need to be determined for the Domino databases. Additionally, partial Domino server backup jobs result in all NLO reference files in DAOS folder being backed up since NLO references for databases selected for backup have not been determined. Sometimes, restores from such backup sets also shows changed behavior, especially with partial Domino server restores. This occurs due to the non-determination of NLO references at backup time. Not all NLO files referenced by databases may be restored; however the Domino Agent will generate a warning and report the missing NLO files. Using this value does not change the Domino Agent's default behavior for restore jobs that involve backup sets that were created using the value of 0 or 2 with this registry key.

What I ask is... what appen when I do a restore?
If p.e. I need to recover just one db it recover the db with all the DAOS object?
BE recover do a LISTNLO after the recover and then recover also the NLO? Or I need to recover them by hand?

I ask this beacause often someone ask me to recover a single db on a specified date and I need to understand what happen if I change that value on the reg

Thanks to all for the help!

Regards,
    Fabio
5 REPLIES 5

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you please confirm the Domino version & is it installed on 32 bit server or 64 bit server & what is the OS too & backupexec version with updates like BE 2010 sp1 or BE 2010 r2 with sp1

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

So here is the solution

FYI (

1    No LISTNLO during backups

Using this value forces the Domino Agent not to call LISTNLO during
backups. Although the list of NLO references is backed up, in reality, no actual
NLO references are backed              
         up. When this value is set, LISTNLO is never called for either full or
partial Domino server backup jobs. As a result, NLO references do not need to be
determined for the Domino           
         databases. Additionally, partial Domino server backup jobs result in
all NLO references files in DAOS folder being backed up since NLO references for
databases selected for backup have    
         not been determined. Sometimes, restores from such backup sets also
shows changed behavior, especially with partial Domino server restores. This
occurs due to the non-determination of NLO 
         references at backup time. Not all NLO files referenced by databases
may be restored; however the Domino Agent will generate a warning and report the
missing NLO files.

Using this value does not change the Domino Agent’s default behavior
for restore jobs that involve backup sets that were created using the value of 0
or 2 with this registry key.

)

With value 1.. we dont backup nlo references so.. we dont have any information of NLOs corresponding to a database..just that some NLO's wont be restored.. You will need to restore them separately,nlos will be backed up.. but references are not its jst that we dont call listnlo during backup

So if you restore single DB.. u might not have NLOs automaticallyas we dont have a way to calculate wht we need with the DB

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130647

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73259

Please mark this post as resolved if this explanation you to clear your douts

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Fabio,

I believe the expalanation above would have cleared all your douts do let me know in case of any other question

Please mark this post resolved if your douts are clear

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Fabio,

Also this link talk about different registry value

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135463

Any updates here , please mark the post as solved if the issue is resolved

I appreciate your response on same

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Any updates here , please let me know if issue is resolved if yes please mark this as solved

Appreciate your response on same

Thank You