cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec configurtaion

henrik_s
Level 2
 I am runngin backup exec on a two node active/passive MSCS cluster. The cluster is a File server the sotrage unit is a Dell MD3000. I initially had the backup exec running as a cluster but I was told by Dell it would not work with our hardware configuration. Basically we have  the tape drive's connected to the passive node by SAS cables . The Dell guy said this would not work and we would need a fibre channel swithcing setup for this to work (I have no expierence with this) . Anyway I want to know does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation as to the best way to configure this in our enviroment . We have two IBM drives in the TL2000 .  As I said the passive node backs up the disks on the active node. Its running a full backup each night im not sure this is the best process either as its over 1TB of data and most of it is static. Would a differnential be best ? Is it easy to restor from a dif backup? Its only data files which are being backed up.

Any advise is much appreciated
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stephen_P
Level 3
 hi henrik,
It sounds (unless I'm reading this wrong) that you are doing the backup on the node that doesnt have control of the disks so are therefore dragging the files over the LAN to the backup node before it gets to the tape?

This is rather slow - I'd either run the backups from the active node or fibre attach the library fo real speed (cost involved mind you)

Thanks
Stephen

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi, Henrik.s

fiber is the best solution for large amount of data.
But, as most of your data is static, one solution is to run a full backup (reset archive bit) once per week, and differential backup next days.
As differential backup includes all files changed since last full backup, if the file you need to restore is not in  last differential backup is in you last full backup. it's easy.

Regards,

kevin_c
Level 4
 Hi henrik,

If you can afford the time and the space, then by all means, do a full each night.

When time or the cost of tapes begins to become an issue, then do a full once a week with differentials the rest of the week.

kevin

Stephen_P
Level 3
 hi henrik,
It sounds (unless I'm reading this wrong) that you are doing the backup on the node that doesnt have control of the disks so are therefore dragging the files over the LAN to the backup node before it gets to the tape?

This is rather slow - I'd either run the backups from the active node or fibre attach the library fo real speed (cost involved mind you)

Thanks
Stephen