cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec not using both drives

Lorenzo_White
Level 3
I have set up a new server with a new Dell Tape library with 2 S-DLT drives in it. The software sees both drives and show them enabled but after looking at mt job history, only one is being used even when multiple jobs are scheduled at the same time. The server is just queuing the job until the one drive is available. Also if I change the device in the job setup to the unused drive instead of all devices... it will still not use it. Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Out of the box, Backup Exec supports one library with one tepa drive. To utilize more than one drive, you need to purchase and install one LEO (Library Expansion Option) for the second through xxx drive(s)

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

The answer given by Mr Putnam is right.
So kindly update.

Regards

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Lorenzo_White
Level 3
I forgot to mention that I already have all the required licenses including the Library expansion.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

From the Devices tab, is the second drive Online and Ready?

if you shut down all BackupExec Services, does NTBackup see and use both drives OK?

Lorenzo_White
Level 3
Yes, it sees both drives. I see both drives in Device Mgr,, Also in Backup Exec the drive properties shows the correct SCSI info, it just shows on the stats that one has never been used. Now I did try to remove them and let Backup Exec re detect them and it saw both drives again. But i just can't use the second drive. I tried using the clean command on the driver to see if it would clean it.. it just sat in the activity monitor showing running but no %. Never errored out or anything. I'm stumped...

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please provide SCSI id details. Whihc id are the drives using and which ID isused by the chnager.

Also update to the latest drivers and verify the details.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 - Device Driver Installer (20050531) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20050115) and Robotic Library Release (46) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277477

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Lorenzo_White
Level 3
Ok, here is what I have. I have the following SCSI info:

Dell 1 (Dell pv132t)
Port 2, Bus 1, Target ID 0, LUN 0.

Drive 1
Port 2, Bus 1, Target ID 1, LUN 0.

Drive 2
Port 2, Bus 1, Target ID 2. LUN 0

Now here is something funny I noticed. First of all the OS sees bothe drives and both show the Veritas driver loaded. Now in Veritas the Vendor and Product IDs differ.

Drive 1 shows Vendor as Dell and Product ID of PV-132T-SDLT320

Drive 2 shows Vendor as Quantumn and Product ID of SDLT320

I deleted the drives from Veritas, removed the drives from windows. reinstalled the drives.... they detected and installed the windows drivers. I then ran the Veritas driver install. Restarted. They come back up the same way. 1 reading dell and the other reading Quatumn. Windows still sees them as exactly the same though.... What should I try next?

Lorenzo_White
Level 3
One more note.... Drive 2 is the one that veritas is not using.

Lorenzo_White
Level 3
Alright!!! problem has been resolved.... I checked the library web gui and checked drive configuration, even though windows saw scsi ID 2for drive 2 and Veritas saw SCSI ID 2 , and the library it self saw ID 2... for some reason the drive reported ID 255 from the diag.... I reset the ID. Shutdown the server and the unti and powered up.... everything works now.... Thanks to everyone for all your sugestions....