Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec restore mailbox without overwriting new email

W2
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

I have a situation with Exchange 2003 server failure, right now Exchange server is up and we want to recover past email that was saved in backup. Currect backup system is using Backup Exec 11d and backup to tape, we will duplicate the backup image to local disk storage and try to restore single mailbox.

Now question is can we restore let's say 5 days ago email in current mailbox and new email that are not in the backup will remain and only restore old email?

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Perhaps you can restore the mailbox to a temporary mailbox using the procedure in the article below and then copy the relevant old e-mails to the new mailbox.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-re-direct-restore-exchange-user-mailbox-temporary-one

W2
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I thought of that too but we have 200 users and it will be too much time and manual work to be done. I'm thinking if BE is able to restore each mailbox without removing new emails while restore from backups, it will save so much time and effort rather than move from temp mailbox to user mailbox one by one.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you select a complete mailbox it should restore the content into the mailbox and not actually erase anything that is currently in the mailbox already.

Why don't you setup a test user with some mails in their inbox, run a backup, add some more e-mails but delete the original ones and then test a restore if you have concerns.

BTW don't select the complete information store for restore as this will remove newer e-mails. Make sure you do one mailbox (or possibly groups of mailboxes) at a time.

W2
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I will try to restore one mailbox from backup image to production mailbox and find out. Will update you guys the status.