cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec using Ethernet and not SAN?

Michael_Dunn_3
Level 2
I currently have 10 servers, most of which are connected to our EMC SAN switch. Yet when I instruct my backup server to backup the files on a different server, the files transfer to the backup server by ethernet, then to the tape library through the SAN switch.

-Is there a way for the remote server to send its files through the san, so I don't use general network bandwidth for the backup?

-If not, what purpose does the SAN Shared Storage Option serve if I have to transfer the files over Ethernet anyway?

Thanks,
Michael Dunn
1 REPLY 1

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
BE does not transfer files from a remote system to the BE Media Server via the SAN. The data will always be sent via the Ethernet network.

The SAN option for BE allows you to have multiple servers that are attached to a SAN that also has a Storage Library attached to the SAN to share the one Storage Library.
Example:
SERVER-A
SERVER-B
SERVER-C
TAPE-LIBRARY
All of the above devices are attached to the SAN.

The SAN option is meant for you to install BE on each server (SERVER-A, SERVER-B and SERVER-C) so that each of those servers can connect to and send their backup data to the TAPE-LIBRARY which is also on the SAN.

The best way to describe the feature is that is allows you to "share" backup devices that are attached to the SAN not transfer data from server to server via the SAN.