Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec with DPM in same tape library

mhosni22
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi every one,

I have a case and want to share it with all of you to can get any idea to solve it,

I need to install and work with two backup software for some times for some complicated company roles , and we already have backup exec software tested and work with it from months ago without any problems, the backup exec server connected to quantum PX502 series Tape library.

but we was do the following, install DPM 2010 on anther server and divided the  quantum PX500 series Tape library to two logical drive, both of backup exec and Dpm 2010 see the two logical drive.

we make backup jobs in Backup exec and schedule it to run in specific time and also make protection groups in DPM 2010 to run in another specific times BUT when the backup jobs run , the tape library disappear from DPM program and DPM cannot take any backup jobs and not appear unless we make rescan again, AND when we make rescan and the tape library show in DPM it disappear form Backup exec.

i think it because only one program can own the Medium changer, but i don’t know if that true or not, and i need to solve this issue.

i need to know if what we make is right or we need to bring another tape library to attach with DPM or there is any idea to make the two application work tighter in same tape library.

regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No way you can make 2 different vendor's applications work with 1 library...they'll always fight for control of the resources...in this case, the robotics first-and-foremost, and the management of that library. Whichever application grabs the robotics has control, and effectively shuts the other application out completely.

You'll have to drop DPM, or buy another library to use exclusively for DPM, while the other library is used exclusively for BE.

Also, while SAN SSO will work, it is for SAN-attached libraries only...and in the same environment. It wouldn't work very well with 2 separate fabrics, or geographically separate installations.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In Backup Exec, SSO (shared storage option) allows you to share the library between 2 media server

but i guess this will not work between BE and DPM.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No way you can make 2 different vendor's applications work with 1 library...they'll always fight for control of the resources...in this case, the robotics first-and-foremost, and the management of that library. Whichever application grabs the robotics has control, and effectively shuts the other application out completely.

You'll have to drop DPM, or buy another library to use exclusively for DPM, while the other library is used exclusively for BE.

Also, while SAN SSO will work, it is for SAN-attached libraries only...and in the same environment. It wouldn't work very well with 2 separate fabrics, or geographically separate installations.

Thanks!

mhosni22
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thanks a lot every one. i will try buy another library to use exclusively for DPM.