cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec with Dell TL2000

Aktaton
Level 3

Greetings;

We have backup exec 11D Rev 7170 and Dell TL2000 Library with two drives. At first backup exec recognized only one drive but not the Library. I selected random and after rebooting Library and the server, Backup Exec recogized the Library but only with one drive. Also although I have tapes loaded in the library, Backup Exec did not see the tapes. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

vaibhav29
Level 2
make sure both the tape drives are getting detected in the Windows Device manager, regarding the tapes, not showing up.. run an inventory job on the tape drive and then Backup Exec should start showing the tapes.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

1  : Turn OFF the Server and the Library
2  : Disconnect the Library and turn ON the Server...(This step will delete all Library entries in the OS)
3  : Turn OFF the server and connect the Library and turn it ON and let it boot.
4  : Turn ON the server and check the device manager for the Medium Changer and both the Drives.
5  : Check Backup Exec for the drives.

Make sure that you install Symantec Drivers and the Medium Changer is Unknown Medium changer (Microsoft Drivers)

Symantec Drivers:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/294731

Hope this helps...

Aktaton
Level 3
Thank you all for quick response. I shutdown both, started library and started the server and now if found medium changer but listed it as unknown. The driver I downloaded was 32 bit but I have winodws 2003 64 bit OS. Thank you.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Firstly sounds like you don't have an additional LEO license for your library. BEWS 11D ships with a license for 1 drive FREE...be it stand-alone, library or autoloader. Any additional drives in a library require an additional license for BEWS to see, and use it, irrespective of whether or not Windows sees it.
The medium changer can be seen as Unknown, that isn't a problem. However, make sure that you have run the Device Configuration WIzard from within BEWS, and choose to install the Symantec drivers.
The library is on the BEWS 11D HCL (ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/282249.pdf), so it isn't a lack of support.
I would also suggest the following:

1. Downloading the x64 drivers here... http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300298.htm

2. Consider upgrading to BEWS 11D SP5 here... http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/340467.htm

Laters!

Aktaton
Level 3
Thank you.
I have installed x64 driver and installed SP5 but that did not help. I called Dell, Dell will help me install it. Thank you.

CraigV
Check your license...if the drives appear in Windows, but you can only see/use 1 in BEWS, it is a licensing issue.

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Also make sure no tapes are in the drive when you reboot the library.

JoaoMatos

CraigV
Hi there,

Did you come right here with a solution?