cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec

bosnjanac
Level 2

Hi all,

I am kindly new with Symantec Backup Exec. I am interested in licensing. First does Symantec Backup Exec server software cost? Second I have 3 physical and 6 virtual servers that I need to backup. I understand that I need 3 Agent for Windows. On two physical servers I have 6 virtual server total. One physical servers is standalone. Does it mean that I need to buy 6 Agent for VMware and Hyper-V?

Does Symantec Backup Exec software must to be instaled on standalone server or not?

Thank you for all information.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE can be installed either on a stand-alone server or otherwise as well.

Agent for VMware & Hyper-V are licensed per virtual host (number of ESX/vCenter / Hyper-V servers) and not per VMs.

You can opt for either of the 2 licensing options ~

1) BE server license

2) 3 Agent for Windows

3) Agent for VMware & Hyper-V license per host

4) Other agents/options depending upon your environment. For egs, if you choose to backup Exchange, then an Agent for Applications & Database license is also needed.

The other licensing model is the Backup Exec V-Ray edition.

I would recommend you to have a look at the licensing guide for detailed info - http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/other_resources/b-backup-exec-2014-licensing-guide-or-21329872.pdf

Lastly, if you need more clarification regarding the licenses, best to contact the licensing team at http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you licenced a physical server with a hypervisor agent licence then it does not need an AWS licence. In your case, this means that you only need 1 AWS licence because the other 2 physical servers would have a hypervisor agent licence.

Also, BE comes with one AWS licence to back up the media server itself.  This means that the physical server that you install BE on does not need an AWS licence.  If you install BE on the remaining physical server, you do not need any AWS licence.

If you want to backup applications/databases, like Exchange and SQL Servers, then you need 1 Agent for Applications and Databases licence per application per machine, physical or virtual.  This means if you have Exchange and SQL databases on a machine, you need 2 Agent for Applications and Databases licences for this machine.

If you have a lot of applications/databases, then you might want to look at the V-Ray edition which gives you an unlimited number of Agent for Applications and Databases licences for your virtual environment.  See this blog

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/whats-included-backup-exec-v-ray-edition

Note that loading BE onto a VM is only supported for a limited number of configurations.  For example, using a virtualised media server to access real devices is not supported. It is recommended that you load BE onto a physical server.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6

BE can be installed either on a stand-alone server or otherwise as well.

Agent for VMware & Hyper-V are licensed per virtual host (number of ESX/vCenter / Hyper-V servers) and not per VMs.

You can opt for either of the 2 licensing options ~

1) BE server license

2) 3 Agent for Windows

3) Agent for VMware & Hyper-V license per host

4) Other agents/options depending upon your environment. For egs, if you choose to backup Exchange, then an Agent for Applications & Database license is also needed.

The other licensing model is the Backup Exec V-Ray edition.

I would recommend you to have a look at the licensing guide for detailed info - http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/other_resources/b-backup-exec-2014-licensing-guide-or-21329872.pdf

Lastly, if you need more clarification regarding the licenses, best to contact the licensing team at http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you licenced a physical server with a hypervisor agent licence then it does not need an AWS licence. In your case, this means that you only need 1 AWS licence because the other 2 physical servers would have a hypervisor agent licence.

Also, BE comes with one AWS licence to back up the media server itself.  This means that the physical server that you install BE on does not need an AWS licence.  If you install BE on the remaining physical server, you do not need any AWS licence.

If you want to backup applications/databases, like Exchange and SQL Servers, then you need 1 Agent for Applications and Databases licence per application per machine, physical or virtual.  This means if you have Exchange and SQL databases on a machine, you need 2 Agent for Applications and Databases licences for this machine.

If you have a lot of applications/databases, then you might want to look at the V-Ray edition which gives you an unlimited number of Agent for Applications and Databases licences for your virtual environment.  See this blog

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/whats-included-backup-exec-v-ray-edition

Note that loading BE onto a VM is only supported for a limited number of configurations.  For example, using a virtualised media server to access real devices is not supported. It is recommended that you load BE onto a physical server.

bosnjanac
Level 2

I am little confused. Structure is:

One physical server;

One physical server with three virtual servers;

One physical server with three virtual servers;

On some virtual servers I have SQL and Share Point applications. If I have one virtual server with SQL do I need licence for SQL and virtual or?

VJware
Level 6

If you plan to backup applications such as SQL/ Sharepoint, you would need an Agent for Application & Database license (per application) ir-respective of the fact the machines are physical or virtual.

However, if you buy a licensing bundle such as the V-Ray edition, it includes the Agent for Application & Database license along with the BE server and the virtual licenses.

If you are going for ala carte (i.e buying each agent/option separately) then it would be as follows ~

One physical server; (one Backup Exec server license)

One physical server with three virtual servers; (one Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V assuming this physical server is a hypervisor)

One physical server with three virtual servers; (one Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V assuming this physical server is a hypervisor)

Plus Agent for Applications and Database licenses (for your SQL and Sharepoint)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need both a hypervisor agent licence and an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for the VM with SQL Server installed in it.  The hypervisor agent is to enable you to backup the VM as a VM and the Agent for Applications and Databases licence is to enable you to restore individual SQL databases.  Without the latter licence, the only way to restore any SQL database from your VM backup is to restore the entire VM.

bosnjanac
Level 2

Thank you very much for advice. Now i know what i need.