Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failed - Media Has Data

Level 3
Hi -
Backup Exec V 8.5
I got the following error:

The media provided to continue the backup already contains data from one or more sets created during this operation.
The operation can not be continued.

What happened? How can I prevent in future?

Thanks!

John
12 REPLIES 12

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This means that the tape has filled up and BackupExec tried to re-load the same volume to continue the job Usually this comes up on stand-alone drives, but can also come up on libraries that have been partitioned

All you can do is split the job into two smaller jobs, or if on a partitioned library, increase the size of the partition.

Steven_English
Level 3
Your backup is trying to over-write a tape that has not scratched yet.

Prevention comes down to tape management. The question I would pose in return is...

How did a tape with a valid backup set get into your scratch pool?

Level 3
Hi Steven, thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I am new with BE - what is a scratch pool? Do I need to reformat the tape or something?

Thanks again!

John

Level 3
Hi Ken - thanks for your reply. I am new with BE - you are saying the tape is full? the byte count on this job is up to:
14,766,422,386 - how can I determine the capacity of the tape?

Thanks again!

John

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What type of tape drive do you have?
What tyep of media?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Look at the message again

It is trying to mount a tape that already contains data from THIS backup job.

Simply stated, the tape has filled up and BackupExec has loaded the same tape to continue the job.

Level 3
Hi Ken - thanks again for your help. Right now, the backup seems to be working ok, but I think there is something going on with one or more of the tapes. The tape we have is Fuji DG64 150M - I am going to see if I can check the capacity of this. Listed tape drives in Device Manager are ARCHIVE Python 06408-XXX SCSI Sequential Drive and WANGDAT 3400 - both show working property.

Thanks again - you have been very helpful - sorry for these newbie questions.

John

Level 3
Hi Ken - here is some information that may be helpful. When I go to the Media tab, there are 12 cartridges listed, with the following /Overwrite Protection Left/Append Time listed: 4MM000001/None/Infinite
4MM000001/None/Infinite
4MM000002/None/Infinite
4MM000003/None/Infinite
4MM000004/None/Infinite
4MM000004/None/Infinite
4MM000008/None/Infinite
4MM000009/None/None
4MM000011/None/None
4MM000012/None/Infinite
4MM000014/None/Infinite
4MM000015/None/Infinite
I see that some have the same number and some have None for Append Time Left - could this be the problem? How can I change the settings of these if necessary?

Thanks again!

John

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Those tapes are DDS4 20 GB native

The 06408 is a 20/40 GB drive, the WangDat is a 4/8 GB drive

Is the job defined as Overwrite or as Append, else overwrite?

if you inventory a tape when you load it, does the volume info show up in Blue or Black?

This job is running on the Python drive, right?

Level 3
Hi Ken,

Looks like we are using the Python because of the size, I suppose? - how can I tell?

The job is defined as Overwrite media.

When a tape is in the machine, like now, that tape listing is black.

Thanks for your continued help!

John

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
> Hi Ken,
>
> Looks like we are using the Python because of the
> size, I suppose? - how can I tell?
>
> The job is defined as Overwrite media.
>
> When a tape is in the machine, like now, that tape
> listing is black.
>

OK, that means protected by Veritas. Blue would have meant available for overwrite

So it sure sounds like the tape has not expired when you start the job, but has when you re-insert it the next morning

Try setting the Overwrite Protection Period down one day and see what happens

> Thanks for your continued help!
>
> John

Level 3
OK, Ken - the backup seems to be cooperating ok the last few days, successful backups, etc. - I will continue to watch and thanks a million for all your good advice!

John