cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Files Newer Than

Fierce_Otter
Level 3

Hi,

Every Saturday our SQL server maintenance plans run a full backup (.bak) to a folder on our Exagrid system (there are transactional & differential backups every day, but I'm not concerned with them). What I want to do is, on the last Sunday of the month, backup to tape only the .bak files created the day before, and ignore older files in the same directory.

I don't see a way to filter files in this way.

Since I would only be backing up new files, and not backing up any changed files (the .bak files do not get modified after they are created), I was thinking I could make pretty much every backup an incremental. Not sure how well that would work, though.

Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

Backup Exec 2010, v13.0, Rev 2896

Server 2008 R2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try using the days accessed option, i.e., exclude files not accessed in a day.  See below

BE 2012 - include exclude.png

To get to this page, edit your selection list, right-click on the server and select include/exclude.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Best bet here is to create a Duplicate job. This will run after a specific job runs. In your case, if you're running a GFS policy this is going to be so much easier as you simply tack this duplicate job onto the relevant backup job, and it only copies that jobs data to tape/disk.

Read below:

http://www.backupexecfaq.com/how-to-duplicate-a-backup-set/

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Fierce,

I do not think in BE we have any option to choose the requirement that you are looking for (backup only the specific file created on previous days).

If you are sure that there is not other change in the folder where the .BAK files are getting created then you can try the option of Incremental job. Select the complete folder for backup. Then run the Full backup first which will backup all the .BAK files from that folder and then run Incremental backups of that folder which will backup only the newly created .BAK file provided that no other .BAK file has changes.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try using the days accessed option, i.e., exclude files not accessed in a day.  See below

BE 2012 - include exclude.png

To get to this page, edit your selection list, right-click on the server and select include/exclude.

Fierce_Otter
Level 3

I don't know why I didn't think to try to exclude files not accessed in X days. My brain was only thinking of include when I saw that option. I'll give that a try first, thanks.