cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Hangs

Mike_Purcell
Level 3
We are running Veritas 9.1 Service pack 2 and every night the backup stops responding for 4 to 7 hours, if left alone it will complete the backup with the normal exception errors.
We are using a HP MSL5000 series tape library which has the newest firmware on the library and the tape drive.
We are running windows 2000 server service pack 4 on the servers.
The backup will stop at different servers and at different byte counts.
I also have a problem when I try to inventory the drives in the library it will fail and the library will go off line , the next time I try it will work, same as If I do an unlock. don't know if the two are related.

Remote agents are running on all the servers, Tape dive is showing using the veritas driver, tape changer is showing as unknown, and the service removable storage has been disabled.
5 REPLIES 5

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Are there any active alerts in Backup Exec?

Are there any errors in job log? Have you reinstalled remote agents after applying SP2?

Are you also backing up any databases like exchange?

Try splitting the job in order to check on which server exactly backup hangs.

Test a backup to back to disk folder.

We also request you to submit a fresh forum query for each new issue (like inventory issue in your case). This would enable us to exercise better control in monitoring the issue and enhance our service offerings.

Additional Information :

For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Mike_Purcell
Level 3
No active alerts in backup exec.
No errors in the job logs. I did reinstall the remote agents after installing service pack 2
Exchange is being backed but no other databases.
I have changed the resource order and it still is a random stop sometime at 30gig 130gig, 122gig, 176gig, ect.
I have done a backup to disk and it runs fine.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

You have mentioned that the Changer appears as Unknown. Please refer the following technote to resolve this issue and then verify if the backups function correctly.

Title:
How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic library so as to make it "Unknown medium changer"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/269214

Additionally check for event IDs 7, 9, 11 and/or 15.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mike_Purcell
Level 3
I Have 5 Servers being backed up and I only have 1 open file option license, If I put all the servers in a single backup I get the long pause. If I separate the Server with the open file option out and do it on its own, and the rest of the servers without open file option selected the backups run without the long pauses.
I thought I should be able to run all the Servers in a single backup and Veritas Backup Software would be intelligent enough to pick up what options were on each server and process according to what options were loaded on the server.
Am I wrong?

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Mike,

Seperate backup jobs need to be created for those servers that do not have AOFO installed on them. One needs to uncheck the option "Use AOFO" in the backup job properties when AOFO is not being used.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.