cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Jobs Taking a lot longer

BGLABUSER
Level 2

We just installed Backup Exec 2012 and noticed that backup jobs are taking very long compared to BE 2010 R3

There is a job that backs-up an exchange server and copies approx 500GB of data each night.  This job used to take about 3.5 hours.

The same job on Backup Exec 2012 now takes more than twice as long.   about 10 hours.  

What is really bizzare is that the job rate shows it is faster on BE2012 about 2.8  GB/s   compated to 2.2 GB/s on BE 2010R3

All the settings are identical on both jobs incuding.  NDMP Backup from Netapp, No Compression,  No Encryption,  Same Storage Device (network share), Same time of day, Same Server. 

Both BE servers are running in VMware  using same settings and same OS  Server 2008 R2 64-bit SP1.

Service Pack 1a has been applied to BE 2012 and BE2010 R3  has all the latest live updates.

Any ideas on why there was such a drastic increase in time?

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Disable check point restart in backup jobs and see if any change in backup speed.

Have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191072

But job rate is reported as faster than it was with 2010?

BGLABUSER
Level 2

I changed the backup job as described above and disabled the check point restart.

Same result of slow backups.   The Backup job itself takes about 6 hours, and then about 3 hours for the verify function.

Normally the entire process would take about 3 hours.

As I hover over the job as its running it shows the same job rate or a little faster than BE2010R3  but when I view the completed log it shows the speed as about half.   1.5 GB/s  compared to about 2.5 GB/s  with the older version.

BGLABUSER
Level 2

Anybody have any suggestions?

I disabled the Check Point restart and also the NDMP File history was disabled.

The backups still take 3X as long.   same hardware, same storage devices, same time-frames, same OS..   only difference is a new VM created, and BackupExec 2012.

Thoughts?