cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Jobs occasionally taking 8 hrs, normal time is <1 hr

Kunal_Ganguly
Level 3
Hello,

I have a Windows 2003 server with BE 10.0.

My scheduled job should take 50-55 minutes, and most of the time it does, but in some cases it takes 7-8 hrs to complete. This happens every 2 or 3 days. The byte count is normal for all jobs, so its not like the 50 minute job is backing up less than the 8hr job.

Also, my job is scheduled for 8pm. In the case of the 50 minute backup, the backing up starts immediately. For the ones that are taking 7-8 hrs, it starts at 8pm, but does not actually start writing to tape until 3 or 4 am. From that point on it takes the normal time to back up the data.

Overwrite and append protection is set to none. Although in my media set properties it appears as "none: infinite - dont allow overwrite". I do not want any overwrite protection set at all.

I have a grandfather-father-son system set up.

Thanks in advance,
Kunal
8 REPLIES 8

Kunal_Ganguly
Level 3
Just moving this message back to the top of the list. Anyone have any ideas so far!?

Kunal

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Kunal,

The following documents could be of help to you:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488

* http://support.veritas.com/docs/249090

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237444

- are you also backing up any databases like Exchange?
- Are you backing up only the local resources or do you also backup the remote resources?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Kunal_Ganguly
Level 3
Thanks for your reply, I will check out those documents later today.

> - are you also backing up any databases like
> Exchange?
Yes

> - Are you backing up only the local resources or do
> you also backup the remote resources?
Local resources only.

I will read the mentioned documents and check/change whatever needs to be done and report back.

Kunal

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please do let us know about the status of the issue after reading the documents.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kunal_Ganguly
Level 3
Unfortunately, the documents did not help in any way. Just educated me more about backup exec. any toher suggestions!

Kunal

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
If you do not want to have an overwrite protection period set then you'll have to change the setting in "options".

Go to "Tools" on the menu bar and select "Options", go to "Media Management" and change the "Media overwrite protection level" to "None" and untick the "Prompt before overwritting".

And with the backups taking a long time, something is holding it up. Do you use OFO with your backups? Can you post the backup log file?

Kunal_Ganguly
Level 3
Simon,

My protection level was set to none, however the "Prompt before overwriting" was checked. I un-checked it - lets see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Kunal

James_Broad_2
Level 2
Just a thought, how is your anti-virus set? I had similar issue with a 10hr backup suddenly rising to 30hrs+ and found that my Sophos anti-virus policy had changed from on-write to on-read. Took me ages troubleshooting Veritas but was fixed in two mouse clicks.