cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 logs

Jorge_Azcuy
Level 3
I had already posted this, but the issue was not resolved, so I am re-posting:

I recently migrated from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. After my first couple of backups, I've noticed that the logs are not being flushed as they are supposed to. I have seen a couple of other postings regarding this issue with no resolution.

Per the response to my original post, I ran ntbackup, which did flush the logs. I also ran this again after all of the mailboxes had been migrated (since that process generates alot of log files). the Veritas backup still does not flush the log files.

Any ideas?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Paul_Joyce
Level 4
Can you give us some more info. What version of BackupExec? Have you tripled checked in your backup configuration under the exchange options that you have the type of backup set to flush the logs?

Jorge_Azcuy
Level 3
10.0 SP1 and yes.

Paul_Joyce
Level 4
Are the jobs completeing 100% sucessful? Are there any errors whatsoever on the backup server or the exchange servers event log?

Jorge_Azcuy
Level 3
There is 1 email item that does not verify.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

This issue could occur if not all Stores in a Storage Group were selected for backup when performing a Full or Incremental backup job in Backup Exec

If one or more Mailbox or Public folder stores are backed up from within a storage group but not all stores in that group are selected, then the logs for that group are not going to be flushed on either a Full or Incremental backup job.

Logs: With Exchange 2000 and 2003, the transaction logs function at the storage group level. This means that all of the databases within a storage group share a common set of transaction logs. Therefore, unless you back up all the databases, transaction logs will not be deleted.

For more information, see Microsoft Article: Q182961 "Using Eseutil to Determine Which Logs Have Been Committed."

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

bert_kleimann
Level 2
We are using BE10 / Exchange 2003 / Windows 2003.
agents Exchange and AOFO option.

Our logs didn't flush after upgrad from BE9 to BE10. Afer serveral forums and test it works now;

First check shadow copy components. This can be done on the command line: VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS (if there is a retry error, you have to restart the server)

second:
If you have Advanced Open File Option;
set it to Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service, with snapshot provider system - use microsoft SSC prov.

and exchangeoption: Full - Database & Logs (flush).
This should work.Message was edited by:
bert kleimann