cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Network for ESX

takaratta
Level 4

Hello.

I would like to use VMware Option on Backup Exec.

And also I would like to make specificate network for backup.

Normally,

When I create the backup job using VMware Option, I use "VMware vCenter and ESX Server" tree on Backup Job Properties.

If I register and choose this tree, I can find "ha-datacenter" and each virtual machines.

In this case, I choose IP address or Computer Name of management network on ESX Server.

If I use this configuration, this backup job use management network for backup.

But I would like to separate network for backup. And so I would not like to backup virtual machine directory using Windows Agent on Virtual Machine.

In this case, I think that I should make backup network on ESX server.

But I cannot find the solution...

I think that I cannot register additional network on ESX console (I can make only management network.).

Should I make new virtual switch as "VMKernel Port" and this switch attach to physical network adapter ( Not physical management network adapter) ?

I try it, but I cannot connect...

If you have some information or advice, please tell me...

Thank you so much.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...this is a question for the VMware forums, please see below:

https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/developer/forums/

essentially you'd create a new virtual network in ESX, and then assign additional vNICs to your VMs. On your media server, choose to use this specific network instead of the default, and backups would run across it instead of the production LAN.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If your VMFS datastores are in some kind of SAN based storage (so external to the ESX host) than you would be better of looking at SAN Transport (over iSCSI or Fibre Channel) as an option to move the backup transfer off the main network.

For SAN transport the LUN containing the datastore is attached to the ESX host as normal, but then also attached to the BE media server. Some control requests go over the LAN, but once things are setup for the job (snapshot created etc) then the data movement goes over the SAN.

Also as an aside Backup Exec Application GRT will require that Backup Exec itself can talk to a remote agent inside the virtual machines. for backups this is just to create some required metadata so the traffic is very small, but there has to be a network route from Media server into the VMs. For GRT restores the data transfer goes via the remote agent.

if you persist down the backup network route, then it will get tricky as the vcenter and esx hosts will probably need secondary nic interfaces (on the ESX host the one used for NBD requests) and for application GRT each and every VM will also need secondary network interfaces to get at the RAWS agents. You will then also need separate name resolution between media server, VMs and ESX host, and vCenter etc that returns IP addresses on the backup network. I am not even sure we can control what information about the ESX host we get from the vcenter which could be another issue. I am not aware that any other customers have asked us how to configure such a requirement and we almost certainly have done no official testing to prove whether it can or can't be done.

takaratta
Level 4

I'm sorry for my less information.

In my environment,

[ Physical Server ]

- Backup Server with Backup Exec 2014

- ESX Host with vSphere 5.5

* This server connect to storage devide directly with Fiber Cable.

And this storage device don't connect to network directly.

[ Virtual Server ]

- 3 Virtual Machines with Windows Server 2012 on above ESX Server.

In this case, I have to backup virtual machines through ESX Host.

And I don't need to backup with GRP options. I will not install BEAgent to virtual machines. Only backup virtual machine file.

Of course, ESX host have the additional network interface for backup.

I cannot find the solution for it.

I think that I have to assign static IP address to physical network interface.

But, on ESX console, I can configure only management network.

And through vSphere Client, I can configure VMkernel network.

But the default gateway of this VMkernel network use the same gateway of management network.

I cannot the gateway for VMkernel. I cannot find how to configure for backup network.

I worry about that I cannot configure the backup network based on my idea.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Your worries may be true as it is possible you cannot do what you want and even if you could it is unlikely to be officially supported.

As such forget the Backup Network Idea (irrespective of whether you intend to use GRT ) SAN Transport is a better idea, also backs up the virtual machine files and as you have a physical media server and a Fiber Channel connection to you datastore storage, all you need to do is add a second Fiber Channel connectition to the media server from the storage (OK, you may need a SAN switch as well) and then you can use SAN transport.

BTW I hope you understand that not using GRT means Disaster Recovery restore of complete VMs only - no ability to restore indivdiaul data items withim teh VMs (files, e-mail etc)