cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup SBS 2003 and restore to Server 2003 Standard with Exchange

Mark_O_Loughlin
Level 3

We have a need to restore system state and exchange on a server that will ultimately be running a different version of Windows Server, and a different version of Backup Exec.

Below is a summary of the start and end points of where we are, and where we need to be.

Old server (due for retirement):

Windows SBS 2003 Premium
Exchange 2003
AIT-2 Turbo drive
Backup Exec 9.1 for SBS

New Server:

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
Exchange 2003
Terminal Server
AIT-2 Turbo drive
Backup Exec 11d for Server 2003 Standard

Questions:

1. Can I backup the system and Exchange in Backup Exec 9.1 and restore in 11d? (I’m guessing no, but had to ask)
  2. If not, will I be able to install one of the versions of Backup Exec on the other server temporarily to enable a cross compatibility of the backups? (Remember one BE version is for SBS and the other is for Std).
  3. Is it even possible to restore an Windows SBS backup into Server Standard?  If so, what difficulties will be encountered and is there a white paper describing how to do it?

If none of this is possible, how would you suggest we go about achieving our needs?

Is the best/only solution to install BE 9.1 and SBS on the new server temporarily, do a disaster recovery, and then upgrade over the top to Server Standard and BE 11d?

Any help will be greatly appreciated (Sorry about the painfully long question).

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1)  As long as the tape and drive are compatible, v11 should have no problems reading a v9 created tape.

2)  Can you restore SBS 2003 to a 2003 Standard machine?  not hardly

3)  Is the best/only solution to install BE 9.1 and SBS on the new server temporarily, do a disaster recovery, and then upgrade over the top to Server Standard and BE 11d?
That's about all that you can do.  I'm not sure you can "upgrade" an SBS install to Standard, tho -   Check with Microsoft