cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Settings Help

Ryan_Laurie
Level 3

Hi everyone, I think I'm confusing myself on a backup plan that I have setup for a customer and need to get your help to make sure I'm doing everything the right way.  I'm doing a local backup to a 2TB hard drive that never leaves the office. What I'm trying to achive is that I do a full backup on Friday and a differential Saturday - Thursday. I only want to keep the backups for 4 weeks so I have the ablilty to restore files back 4 weeks ago on any day. Here is what I have setup:

As you can see I have a daily backup which backups up on Friday and a differential that backs up Saturday - Thursday:

Here is my backup job settings:

Here is my backup to disk folders:

Here is my media settings:

Let me know what you think or if I should make any changes.

Thanks Ryan.

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Its recommended to configure backup jobs to "Overwrite" if its targeted to a B2D folder.

With current setting BE will keep on appending data and eventually you will run out of space.

In BE console, click on Tools->Options->Media management-> Set the overwrite protection level

as "Partial" and select "Use recycable media before using Scratch media".

Make sure AOFO is disabled for Database backups and enabled for flat file backups.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not check the "allocate max size" property of the B2D folder.  Otherwise, BE will allocate 100GB for the file even though it needs only 1KB.