cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Speed Variance

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Hello All,

I have a quick question which may not be too hard for some of you to answer.  I have an LTO Tape drive attached to my media server, and I am running BE 10d.  I have several Windows servers that are backed up nightly and my question revolves around backup speeds...

Since most of the servers run on RAID setups with their drives, I know the drives are the same type and speed and yet there are certain servers where one drive will backup at say 800 MB/Min and then another drive on the same server will backup at 400 MB/Min....these are not SQL servers, but rather just good old fashioned file servers and applications servers.  I just don't get why there is such a speed difference?

Can some of you shed some light or give me some places to look for what might be causing a lag in performance like this?

Thanks

Jim Piller
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do the slow servers have a lot of directories and fairly small files while the faster ones fewer folders and relatively larger files?

A lot of small files totaling the same size as a few large files will always backup slower. There is nothing you can do about it.