cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Strategy

Backup_Guy
Level 2
I am relatively new at administering backups.  Can someone tell me if there are any problems with the following strategy?  I am aiming at 1) Making sure we have proper coverage from data loss , 2) ease of administration, and 3) ease of restoration. 

I basically run 6 jobs.  1) Weekly full backups every Friday night for files, 2) Weekly full backups Saturday night for mail and 3) database servers.  Tapes rotated every month.
Daily Incrementals monday through Thursday night for 4) files, 5) mail, and 6) databases.  Tapes rotated every month.
Monthly full backup kept off site for 1 year.
Yearly backups kept forever.

I am backing up about 500gb in files, 200 gb in mail, and 200 gb in databases.  I am using 200/400 tapes.
I have a 16 cartridge backup device and one media set defined. 

So far it seems like all weekly fulls and dailys fit on 2 tapes easily, therefore I plan to rotate 8 tapes once a month. 

This strategy shoud allow me to have regular protection with a grandfather, father, son strategy.  It should allow me to easily administer, by having an adequate size device I only need to intervene once a month while getting daily notifications.  It should also allow for straightforward restoration since Fulls and Incrmementals are kept on the same tapes and rotated together once filled.

Any ffedback would be greatly appreciated.  I really need to make sure I can trust this strategy and deliver to upper mangement soon!

Thanks,
Backup Guy (newbie)
1 REPLY 1

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
My only issue with your strategy is the single point of failure.  What I mean by that is for example your daily and your weekly fulls fit on 2 tapes.  So if for some reason those tapes fail, you have now lost your daily and weekly backup.  You could possibly go back to a previous weeks backup, but you will lose a weeks worth of work.  You may want to look into putting your fulls on one set of tapes and your daily jobs on another.  You may want to look into doing some duplicate jobs to send offsite.