cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Verification Process - Simple Questions

oceann23
Level 2

Hello everyone,

I have what I hope are a few simple questions and cannot find an answer googling or filtering through these forums

After scheduling Symantec to backup at a set time and date there is also a step to VERIFY the backup. So here are my questions:

1. Does the Verification take the same amount of time as the actual backup? a 2 Terabyte backup took me roughly 36 hours
2. If I cancel a backup schedule during the Verification does this mean the backup did not finish? or did it and it just was not verified GOOD or BAD
3. If the backup literally uses bandwidth then does the verification use bandwidth? I have the symantec server and I have another server that is the target
to store the backup: Backup Exec Server points to iSCSI SAN storage used to hold backups

The situation is I don't mind that the backups run from Friday night into Sunday Afternoon. but if the Verification runs through Tuesday night? then am I risking
network performance Issues by letting the Verification run during Business hours?

6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
1. It is very possible for the verification to take just as long as the backup.  The verification process reads all the checksums on media to verify the data was written correctly.

2. The backup completed, but the verification process has not confirmed if the data is goor or bad.

3.  Verification only reads the media that was written to, i.e. the tape or the backup to disk folder.  It does not go back out to the source server(s).  So if the backup to disk folder is on the network it will use bandwidth during the verification process, if it's local it will not.

oceann23
Level 2

So in your response to #3

In this case, since we have the backups pointing to a backup-to-disk folder which IS over the network then There is no way for the backup
job to complete successfully in one weekend without impacting working hours.

Are there any suggestions at all? Can we run backup Job over the weekend then a verification job the following week?
What other options do we have?

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes the backup can be verified 2 ways

1. Followed by backup job immediately

2. Schedule or manual verification job
That means you can verify the backup during week day also.

To configure verification job follwo the steps mentioned below

1. Open Backup Exec Console
2. Click File--> New--> Verify Backup Data Job
3. Select the backup which you want to verify and run verification job

Remember one thing that you will need to configure verification job every time. Yo can not run same schedule for different tapes. You will need to modify the job every time.

oceann23
Level 2
Thanks for your response I will give it a try and see how long it takes, i appreciate it

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Verfiy make usre the data can be read form the media ...writes checksums which is very true

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Ocean

Any updates??? Please check and confirm