cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Very Slow since CIFS shares established

deathvalle
Not applicable

Hello,

I have Backup Exec 11d installed on a Windows 2003 server.  The server contains job related files (mostly Office docs, txt files, etc.) that are used by employees on a daily basis.  This is the data being backed up.

We also have a Linux server (Red Hat v5.6 I believe) that had been connected to the Windows server via NFS.  A couple of weeks ago, the NFS connections were replaced with CIFS connections (sorry if that's not the correct terminology - I'm not a Linux guy).  Ever since then, the backup times have increased from 1.5 hrs to nearly 4 hrs for a typical incremental and a full backup increased from 17 hrs to nearly 100 hrs.  We are only backing up data stored locally on the Windows server - nothing stored on the linux server is being backed up (at least not intentionally).

Needless to say this is unacceptable.  There has to be something different between the NFS and CIFS connections that has caused this but I'm not sure what. Has anyone else with this configuration run into a similar problem?  Is there something in BE that can be tweaked to bring these backup times back to a more reasonable time?

Thanks,

Robin H.

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

CIFS is extremely inefficient.  If you want to copy a file, there are about 13 round-trip communications that take place before the actual file has even started to copy.  

If you are using SAMBA, than more than likely, you need to have it tuned to perform better.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

We are only backing up data stored locally on the Windows server - nothing stored on the linux server is being backed up (at least not intentionally).

If this is true, what difference does it make what kind of connection you have to the Linux server?

I'd recreate your selection lists, making sure not to inlcude any links or mount points