cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup a Workstation over VPN

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I'm trying to backup a directory on a remote XP(SP2) workstation over a VPN connection. I'm using Backup Exec 9.1 (SP4) on a Windows 2003 SBS box.

I have created a User Defined Selection and I can happily browse all of the files within the target directory I want to back up. However, when the job is run I get the error "The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to one of the drives".

Can any kind sould point me in the right direction.
6 REPLIES 6

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited
A couple of point I forgot to mention.

1. The Remote Agent is installed and appears to be working OK on the remote workstation.
2. I have "Enabled media server TCP dynamic port range" as described in http://support.veritas.com/docs/258334.

STeve_O
Level 5
Is the firewall turned on on the XP box. If so there are technotes on how to exclude the ports backup exec use.
Try enable restrict anonymouse support and force guest.
These are all technotes

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi, The XP Firewall is off and I've tried as guest - still with no success.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote to further troubleshoot this issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/259874

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Thanks for the info Deepali,

I have followed the suggestions in 259874 and also 250649.250678.255187,256758 & 258334.

I still get the "unable to attach to one of the drives".

If I create a new backup job I can see the remote system, expand the directory tree and view the file list within the directory.

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Ok, I've fixed the problem. I upgraded 9.1 to version 10 and everything seems to work as advertised. I'm guessing that the problem was with 9.1