cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup backup exec tasks? :)

Jerker_Pihl
Level 2
Hi!
I will have to reinstall Backup Exec 9.1 to get sp4a to install but I would like to have all the different tasks and media set preserved. Is there someone to export them to a backup file?
/JP
7 REPLIES 7

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

following articles might help you:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/238704.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245048.htm

Thanks,

Regards

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Not certain this would work as haven't tried but...

If you're using SQL to store your BEWS info rather than MSDE, you could try going into Enterprise Manager, and creating a flat file backup of the Backup Exec database within it's SQL instance, this all the data relating to your jobs, selection lists, media sets etc are stored in here. Then when you re-install BEWS, shut down the services (except the SQL instance service) to be on the safe side, do a flat file backup of the newly created SQL database (just in case this doesn't work), and then using EM restore your backed up copy of the SQL database over the new one. Hopefully then when you re-start BEWS you'll find all your settings have been restored to their rightful places.

As I say there is a definite element of guesswork to this, but if you can't find a more definitive way of doing it this might be worth a try. Worst case scenario you have to re-install BEWS again, and end up exactly where you would have been if you hadn't tried.

Keith

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi,

Have you gone through the documents provided earlier?

Please provide us an pudate if these have helped you.

Jerker_Pihl
Level 2
Well no I found the answer some other place on the net. The documents refered to just telling how to store the file not the other way around. Iam thinking now to do a total clean install to get any problems that MIGHT occur but then raises the question. If I have a AIT tape(thats contain data from the old installation) is it possible to restore the files and media from the old AITtape if sometime happens?
Example. I do a clean install(oh yes..) and make new tasks and new media later I found out that some of the really old AITtapes(from the earlier installation) do have files I need to restore. Is it possible?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes, just inventory and catalog the tape, if you have completely deleted the old \Catalogs dir.

You SHOULD be able to backup the catalogs directory before uninstalling (or just choose "Program Files Only" when prompted during the uninstall, then either install to the same place or restore the \Catalogs Directory and then see http://support.veritas.com/docs/272886 to force the catalog index. (tho there have been reports of this not working in v9)

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

Regards,

Jerker_Pihl
Level 2
I did uninstall pre sp4 version and reinstalled it then upgraded to sp4 and everything works fine. Didnt delete the old db so everything was still remembered.
Thanks for your help!
regards
JPihl