cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install BE 10d on CPS Server

Kenneth_Sheppar
Level 5
I have been running BE CPS on one of my servers for several months and all is running well. However, I now have a need to install BE 10d on that same server so that I can backup my CPS data to a tape drive for off-site storage. When I attempt to install BE 10d, I get an error that states "You cannot install a Backup Exec Media Server on a system with Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers installed."

How can I get around this error message and complete the install? If I unintall remote agent to complete the install, will that break CPS server all of my jobs? I do have another media server, but I'm trying to avoid using that media server for this backup job because I don't want to clog my network for this backup.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Conny_Lindquist
Level 5
I think the problem lies in the fact that BE is a master program... Ie it want to be installed first on the server... it sets up the database system and all that stuff.. then you install the CPS ontop of that... CPS links to the same database. Atleast if you use SQL on the server.. wich I do...

When you try to install BE ontop of CPS the database simply isnt compatible with eachother... or conflict in the registry... CPS was released after BE and is meant as a complement to BE... not the other way around...

Uninstall CPS and remove agents and everything... Then install BE... after that you reinstall CPS ontop of that... you will get questions about linking to the BE media server during the install of the CPS...

Kenneth_Sheppar
Level 5
Uninstalling CPS will cause me to lose my historical data and snapshots, correct? If not, how do I link them back in once again with the new install?

Thanks.

Conny_Lindquist
Level 5
Sadly I have never tried that so I actually dont know how or if that works... :(

I did the install from scratch when we did it and I only remember that the CPS asked for the media server (that already existed with BE) to connect to it... thats why I draw the conclution you need to install BE first...

So CPS is compatible with BE but not the other way around...

So what happens when you uninstall CPS and reinstall it after BE I dont know... hopefully someone else can answer that... :)