cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup error

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

Got this backup error on my back up jobs for the past two days. I have no clue what this means. Can anyone help? This backup job is run by win 2003 server running backup exec 11d. 

"The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped."

Many thanks, 

Angelo 

18 REPLIES 18

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

The Media insert alert is not configured to clear out automatically.

Click on Tools->Alert Categories->Media Insert alert, configure it to clear out

automatically after 1 min.

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

Hi , 

It is already set to automatically clear out after 1 min. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not have set the alert to clear automatically.  Your job required an overwriteable tape for it to complete the backup.   What the automatic alert clearance did was to cancel the job.

What you can do is not to respond to the alert automatically.  The job will wait until you put in an overwriteable tape and then complete.  However, all other jobs that require the tape drive will be queued until their time window expires and then they would be missed.

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

do you think this is due to the backup up job now exceeding the size of the tape? 

AmolB

Is it configured to respond with "YES" after 1 min

AmolB

PKH correct me if I am wrong, for overwriting media you get "Media Overwrite" alert

and for insert media you get "Media Insert" alert.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is probably due to the first tape being full and a second one is required.  As I said, remove the automatic response for the Media Insert alert and then put in a new tape the following day to allow the job to complete.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  You are correct.

Look at the error message, it says "media request alert" which means a Media Insert alert.

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

Ok thank you will try that. Tell you how it goes tommorow! 

AmolB

Thanks PKH, my mistake.

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

Still does not work. I have noticed the clean light is on both of my tape drives and the current backup up size on tape 1 is 100gb , the tape can hold 160bg so i don't think this is a size issue. Below is an error from tape 1 

The above error seems to appear on the event viewer before the backup runs so I wonder if this is an issue. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

That entry in the eventlog is the media insert alert.  Somehow your system still is responding to it automatically and your job gets cancelled.

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

I took the alert out and when i came in to work this morning, the backup was waiting for the tape to be loaded. So this is even more confusing now!!! 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why is it confusing?  This is correct.  Now you got put in a scratch tape so that the job can run and complete.

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

there was already a tape in there!!! 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is the tape in there an overwriteable tape?  If not, eject that tape and put in an overwriteable tape.

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

yes it is an over writable tape which is what confuses the hell out of me 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Assuming that there is no automatic clearance of alerts, this is what normally happens

1) You put in a suitable tape into the tape drive.  If you job specify appends, then the tape should be appendable.

2) The job runs and fill this this tape up.

3) The job will eject this tape and issue an alert to ask you to insert an overwriteable tape

4) You insert an overwriteable tape and the job continues.  If it fills up this 2nd tape, it will go back to Step 3 again and repeat until all the data has been backed up.

It is still not clear from your postings what is actually happening with you job.  Tell us

1) whether job specify append or overwrite

2) the status of the 1st tape that you insert into the tape drive, whether it is appendable or overwriteable.

3) did the job writes to the first tape.

4) during which stage of the job was the alert issued.