cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exceptions

eiger
Level 2
Hi!  

I'm doing backup job of our mail everyday. It's about 125 Gb, but at the end of every job only
about 40 Gb has beeb backed up. The log displays a completed job with excemptions. A
lot of files are skipped. what shoud be the possible cause for this?

anybody please advice..

thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you using the Exchange Agent or trying to backup the Exchange databases as flat files?

What are some of the Exceptions/Skipped files?

eiger
Level 2
hi Ken!

i'm using Lotus Notes, i'm trying to backup all of the notes folder as flat files direct to a tape media.
But some of the files inside data folder and almost all of the .nsf files are skipped. These are few
examples of its logs:

The item D:\notes\data\namesow.nsf in use - skipped
The item D:\notes\data\namestdkr.nsf in use - skipped
The item D:\notes\data\namesttsp.nsf in use - skipped
The item D:\notes\data\DATABASE\amalinao.nsf in use - skipped
The item D:\notes\data\DATABASE\Ameoba.nsf in use - skipped

i'm using an 200X400 LTO 2 tape media.Very enough to backup our lotus notes which is only about 125 GB.

please advice

thank you  

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The NSF files are skipped because the Notes Server is running (jut like SQL or Exchange or Oracle files would be)

You need to either shut down the Notes server during backups (usually not an option) or else use the Notes Agent to get a "hot" backup, while the Notes server service i0s running

eiger
Level 2
Hi!

good day Ken.

It's not possible to shutdown the notes server, probably i should use the notes agent to
make hot backup. can you teach me how to do that?

please advice

thank you

eiger
Level 2
good day Ken!

by the way i'm using veritas backup exec 10 for more than two years i think. And its only this time that
i have this kind of error.  i dont have notes agent installed since i scheduled my backup every 2 am to
make sure nobody is using the server. i been using this strategy since before. It works for me, but now
no more. I already have this excemptions.

please advice...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

have no I idea why this started acting this way, if it hasn't until now. 

To use the notes agent you would need to purchase one, and about the only place to find v10 Agents would be one of the Auction Sites

(Notes, SQL, Exchange and Oracle database files should actually be skipped without a comment in the job log.  See

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm `