cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 12.5 ad restore

mark_fuller
Level 3
Hi I need to restore a 2008r2 pdc with backup exec 12.5, How do I do this? Many thanks
12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need to restore the system state of the server and re-boot the server.

mark_fuller
Level 3

is that it?

do i need to do this in directory restore mode? do i also need to restore the c drive at the same time or do i do the c drive first then system state?

many thanks

Mark

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It depends on whether you want to do an authorative or non-authoritive restore.  If you just do the restore, it would be non-authoritive.  If you just want to restore AD and you have not installed any programs, etc since the backup you can just restore the system state.  For more information, refer to the Admin Guide.

mark_fuller
Level 3

I need to do a non-authoritive restore, there server us completey dead as the raid failed,

so i need to install server 2008r2 first then restore over the top of that? i would refer to the guide, one i cant find the info im looking for as its either 2003/2000 or 2008 so i wasnt sure

thanks for the support on this

Mark

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I thought that you want to just restore AD.  You are looking a full server recovery.

1) Install the OS on the machine to be recovered.  Do not make it part of the domain

2) restore the C: drive.  You would have to use a local admin account for BE to restore the machine

3) restore the shadows copy component and the system state

4) re-boot the machine.  After the reboot, it should be at the stage when the backup is taken.

5) restore all your files and application data.

mark_fuller
Level 3

brilliant thanks, one last question, do i have put it in directory restore mode to restore the c drive? and do i run the c drive restore on a different job to the system state?

mark

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you do that you are doing a authoritative restore which is not what you want.

restore your C: drive and system state separately.

mark_fuller
Level 3

ok thank you, do both restores need to happen in directory restore mode?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. They are just normal restores.

mark_fuller
Level 3

does the new server need to have the same name and same ip or will the restore take care of this?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

A different ip wll not be a problem, but needs the same name, as System State cannot be re-directed to different server. Here are 2 artciles that will give you a step by step run down of te DR process.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11945

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23132

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you restore the system state and reboot, the server will revert to the old IP address.