Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010 , Vmware and Vcenter license question

timgarbim
Level 4
Certified

Hello to everyone

I´m have a question about the license with Vmware and Vcenter about wich license i need to purchase.

I have 2 Esxi servers, 1 backup Exec media server license and another server with Vcenter, the thing is :

Do i need to purcharge a Windows license for Vcenter ? Or i can just put the ip address identifying the Vcenter address?

If i install a remote agent in the Vcenter server, i will need a windows license ?

Thx for the info, every help is really appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

To backup virtual machines from vCenter server you do not need Remote agent installed on the vCenter server or a remote agent license in Backup Exec. It just needs Backup Exec VMware agent license (Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure) license.

If you want to backup data from the vCenter server (like C drive, D drive, System State etc..) then you need to install Remote agent on the vCenter server and Backup Exec Remote Agent license on the Backup Exec server.

villeah
Level 5

ESXi needs vStorage API available and licensed from Vmware in order to take snapshot of the virtual machine, so do you have licensed version of VMware?

With one Backup Exec agent for VMware you can install as many Windows agents you will on one ESX host. For example, if you have 5 quests on one host you can install remote agent on all them with one license for vmware agent. You still need separate software agents for SQL, Sharepoint, Exchange, etc.

timgarbim
Level 4
Certified

Ok Understood, thank you very much !

I already have 2 Vmware licenses, so i´m good to go