cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2012 for domino dbs large differtnail

barrykfl
Level 4

Hi:

I backed diffiental of fullbackup ( aroun 500g) but verynight the lotus db differential is around 300G any idea why such big ..there are some lotsu format of ods 43 most are 51 ....( but they are all native 8 format as i checked by IBM)

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/dominowiki.nsf/dx/database-ods-version-should-be-upgraded-to-the-latest-

But here it say it may affect and treat as  changed db always

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH76382

is that non 48 will make the software treat it as changed id so daily backup ? if i choose incremental backup will it faster .??? if ods is the issue the incremetanl backup mehtod wouldnt not help right?

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Moved post to BE forum for better visibility.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you run Fixup or Compact on your databases, then the databases will also be treated as new

barrykfl
Level 4

i have fixup every daily maintainece compact and  FIXUP  only not fixup -j /compact -B

what is the practice to do this differential then .

I think many people will do compact everynight.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Then you might as well do full backups every night. There will be not much difference in the size of the two backups

barrykfl
Level 4

the document only said FIXUP -J or COMPACT -B mine just fixup compact ...so i think  no effect for the dbs.

and default domino8 is format 43 not  48 ...i m still wondering iand in doubt with the document .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

mine just fixup compact ...so i think  no effect for the dbs.

No.  This is not true.  If Fixup and Compact does not affect the databases, why do you run them?

The -J switch for Fixup means that Fixup will process transaction-logged databases. Otherwise, they would not be processed.  This could acccount for the difference in the size of your two backups if you have transaction-logged databases.

The -B switch for Compact means in-place compaction with file size reduction will be done.  Otherwise, copy-style compaction will used.

Do check the IBM documentation.

barrykfl
Level 4

i meant the accuracy of the document .It could not match what i knew from ibm ..the coument should describe any fixup/compact will change the ID  DBIID it should describe not just say  FIXUP -J or COMPACT -B

Did u check clearly the document it has misleading??? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is for Symantec to fix.  I am not a Symantec employee.

barrykfl
Level 4

Yes i knew ..so just waiting Symantec staff  's answer.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you need Symantec's answer, you will need to log a Support call.

This is just a user forum where fellow users provide assistance.
Some Symantec employees happen to respond at times, but this is not the place to ask if you need official response from Symantec.