cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec encryption

nchoudhary
Level 2

Hi there,

I use Backup exec 11d on a windows server 2003 platform. I want  to encrypt the data onto the disk. Is it possible to encrypt the data onto the disk using backup exec ? If yes then how do I do it ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
BE 11d supports software encryption, try under Tools | Encryption Keys.  More details should be in the Admin Guide. 

Are you backing up to disk or to tape?  Encrypting the backup to disk is a bit unusual.

nchoudhary
Level 2
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your reply. I do backup on tape and I do have an encryption key for that, I was just wondering if I can do encryption on hard disk as well ?

4tun8
Level 2
Hey there,

If you are backing up on different types of media, you might want to look at a third-party tool from zecurion called zbackup. This tool provides backup encryption on tapes and disks. i believe, it works with most backups like Backup Exec and BrightStor and they designed it to improve the encryption overhead. I heard pretty good things about the product. if  im not mistaken, they won couple of awards this year. so check them out and let me know how you made out.

regards,
4tun8 :)

greyling
Level 2

As your system is built on 2003 Server, why not just stick with Windows EFS?