cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failing due to corrupt file?

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3

Backup Exec 10d, rev 5629

For the last 3 days I have been getting a backup failure.  I have attached the latest log here.

Here are  the relevant error sections:

Job Completion Status:

Job ended: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 9:52:26 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe36 - Corrupt data encountered. See the job log for details.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65078

Exceptions:

Backup- D: New VolumeWARNING: "D:\Data\Docs\Maria\Outlook\archive.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Verify- D: New VolumeWARNING: "archive.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Can you assist?

Thank you,

Brian Hart

5 REPLIES 5

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3

Sorry I had to convert Log to a pdf

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

This happened because someone had the PST file open when the backup ran

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH7490

When performing a backup operation, the following error:"WARNING: "\***\***\***\***.pst" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify." is generated

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3

Ok, that makes sense.  How can I tell the program to ignore all of the .pst files?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you really do want to skip all PST files, edit the selection list for the job and add

\\*\*  in the path line

*.PST  in the file line

and specify "include subdirectories"   &  "exclude"

Bear in mind that any closed PST will also be skipped,  So users would have to worry about copying their PSTs themselves while Outlook is closed - not a option in most companies

You could send out an all company memo that Outlook is to be closed every night (or that all personnel should completely logoff every night) and mention that any files on any computer not logged out that are skipped will not be available for restore, and then for a week or so monitor the skipped/corrupt files and send out EMails to those users and their managers (depending on how proactive you and your manager want to be)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unfortunately, AOFO is a payable option in BE 10d.  If you upgrade to the latest version of BE, AOFO is free.  With AOFO, BE will be able to handle files which are opened during the backup and you do not have to skip the .pst files.