cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failing on nt server

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

Hi, 

We backup a few servers through backup exec and when the agent comes round to backing up the nt server it cannot retrieve the system state files and as a result it skips that and fails the backup. Below is an attached pic of the log. 

I have googled the error code and checked to make sure the c: where the boot ini file has no memory issues. 

Thank you 

Angelo 

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Angelo,

Have you checked to make sure your antivirus isn't blocking access to the System State?
Got an issue on a couple of my sites where McAfee is doing the same thing. It looks like it isn't receiving the correct policy, causing the issue...

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Try these steps

1.Free up some space on the local drive (active partition which contains the boot.ini e.g C:\ ) and then perform the System State backup, which should be successful.
2.A reboot maybe required to resolve this error. 

3.Additionally this error may also occur if Backup Exec Service Account (BESA) does not have sufficient permissions to backup the System State. Refer Related Documents for the requirements of BESA. 

To isolate this issue, try backup of System State using NT Backup

For more info 

Check this KB

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38835

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

there is a shared folder on this server with around 772mb worth of mem left. But should this matter as the local disk c has 4.18gb free ? I've checked the antirvirus and that seems fine. So do the permissions for the remote agent. 

CraigV

OK...2 other ways around this...

1. Create a job to back up just the System State of that faulty server. If it succeeds, then you have a corruption of your selection list.

2. Open your selection list, and deselect the System State of the NT4 server. Make sure in the text view that it has been deselected. Select it again, and run the backup job...

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

You have running in that?

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

I'm going to run the backup tonight without the system state for the nt4 server. I will get back to you guys on monday. Thanks for your suggestions. Been most helpful. 

CraigV

Hi Angelo,

Have you ever come right here?

Thanks!