cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fails after replacing backup drive

espenzaal
Level 3

Hi,

We run a Win Server 2008R2 Std and Backup Exec 2010 R3 Rev 5204 with all updates installed from Lice Update.

We replaced Tandberg TS400 with Tandberg LTO3 HH and since then backup has failed with following error:

"Error reported:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred."

This could be related to us using a Microsoft Driver, but no matter how i try i can't find and use a Symantec driver. Using tapeinst.exe does not seem to help. I have removed the old device using tapeinst.exe, but maybe Backup Exec is hanging on to it somehow?

The Job fails with this message:

"Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f9 - A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34041"

I dont know what Remote Agent has to do with anything. Running backup-to-disk works fine. The remote agents are also updated to the last patch according to the media server.

Anyone with some good tips?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

From the UI disable the drive & delete it..recycle all BE services & run tapeinst.exe again. And before the backup, run an inventory as well...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In the backup job properties set the job to a Backup to disk folder (create a temporary oen if you don't have one)  thn set it to the record for the online/new tape drive. The job is likely to be trying to use the old drive and needs to be set to use the new one.

espenzaal
Level 3

Thanks for the fast replies.

I have tried to delete the drive, recycle BE services and run tapeinst.exe before. Tried it again now. This server is in production environment at a small company so cant do reboots and run backup at all times there so i check the results in the afternoons or mornings.

Last weekend we did run a successful complete backup to disk. For tonight i have set the backup to to to disk, so we at least have some backup, but i'll try a backup to tape in the evening also.

The inventory and labeling of the tapes i did right after the tape was installed, but it was with a Tandberg Driver. Should i format all tapes and label them again with the current driver? Will it make any difference?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Erasing tapes would make no difference. They are not reliant on the make of drive.

What happened when you tried to delete the drive?

espenzaal
Level 3

I deactivated the drive, deleted it from BE and recycled the services. The drive reappeared in BE ad Tandberg0001.  Then ran tapeinst.exe. In Device Manager the drive is not changed, it runs on Microsoft driver, but has a Symantec driver there too, as it has had for a long time.

Microsoft driver is: ltotape.sys

Symantec is: tpfilter.sys

CraigV

Weird...tapeinst.exe would change the driver. Have you tried the same process but using Backup Exec itself?

I think you might need a complete uninstallation of the drive, both from within BE and within Windows. You would then disconnect the drive, restart Windows so it boots up not detecting the drive, and then shut the server down again.

Reconnect the drive to the server and start up Windows. Once booted, install the Symantec drivers.

But you will need downtime for this...

espenzaal
Level 3

I'll try this, but i will have to wait until tomorrow or friday. Will be back with an update..

espenzaal
Level 3

Hi,

the TD Tool for the tape drive shows unstable results when writing testdata to the drive. Once in 3 tries did it pass the testdata written to it from the TD Tool.

I still can't make it install any Symantec drivers either. Even after uprading to Backup Exec 2012 with SP1a it makes not difference with the tapeinst.exe

I'll test all drivers i can and run test with it and see what the result is before i replace it on monday.

Thanks for all help so far.

Will return with update when i've got news.

CraigV

...if the tape drive diagnostic is failing on the drive (and I assume the BE services are stopped during the test), then it could indicate a hardware issue.

BE is taken out of the equation in this regard.

Thanks!