Level 4
Media Server:
BackupExec 9.1
Windows 2003 Server

Client:
Windows 2000 Server

Error:
The following error message appears:

Final error: 0xa00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed

This relates to the file

\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol\domain.com\DO_NOT_REMOVE_NtFrs_PreInstall_Directory

Checks:
I have verified this error message is incorrect. Whilst logged in as the backup user, I used Microsoft Windows Explorer to navigate to the specified directory. With the "Show hidden files and folders" option turned on, the directory can be successfully navigated.

Searched knowledge base for relevant articles. "Newsgroup" articles found. No solution yet provided.

Question(s):
How do I make this backup of a Microsoft Lan Manager domain controller successfully? Is this directory needed? Can it safely be excluded if Backup Exec cannot handle it? Why is this not done automatically by the software?
4 REPLIES 4

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
If memory serves this is one of those folders which you can get away with excluding from your backup, as it effectively a system folder, and therefore always in use, so can't be backed up normally. If you are backing up the system state then the information contained within it will be backed up as part of that , so all the information will be correctly protected.

Level 4
It certainly "looked" safe to exclude, but then I never like to just assume anything!

The other problem with the backup is:

Unable to open file
C:\WINNT\System32\CPL.CFG - Skipped

This is only marked in orange as an "exception". To me it looks like its pretty important. I tried the backup "Without Lock", but that didn't help.

Again, the knowledge base is full of "newsgroup" articles with the same problem, no confirmed resolution.

Skip?

Dhavalrai_Trive
Level 5
The SYSVOL file being skipped was an issue with BE 9.1 which was fixed with a hot fix release . I think SP 2 for Backup exec 9.1 should resolve this.

Regarding the .CFG file being skipped it could be because its an open file and BE does not have access to the file . You can ignore the exception if the file is not important. If it is you might need to buy the open file backup agent.

Level 4
I've got SP2 installed already.

Unfortunately I know nothing of the internal working of Microsoft Windows 2000 Server to know which files are essential and which files aren't. This being so, I err on the side of caution are treat all errors as errors.

I guess the only a test restore will tell...