cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup getting stuck in queued state

Quagmire2
Level 2

We have Backup Exec on a 2008 server with SP2 trying to back up data from Hyper-V servers that sometimes gets stuck in a queued state.  I have sometimes been able to restart the backup exec server and / or the Hyper-V server it is trying to backup to get the job working although that is not working currently.  Does anyone have some ideas of things to try to get our backups working again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Quagmire2
Level 2

I tried and changed all the jobs that used the device I was using to another device so that I could delete and recreate the device.  Now the jobs are working with the device I just recreated.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

First thing to check up on is whether or not there is a prompt in your job. If there is (green icon), right-click it, and choose: Respond to alert. See what it is...

Laters!

Quagmire2
Level 2

The job is in the queued status without any messages in alerts or an alert to respond to.

seanbh
Level 4

What are you backing up to: tape, disk or deduplication storage?

CraigV

...and if you go through to Devices, is your backup device being accessed? Does this occur on the same day at the same time, or is it totally random? I am trying to eliminate some sort of maintenance task that is running that might be interfering with your backups.

Quagmire2
Level 2

The device this is backing up to is an attached drive from a SAN network.  I know the device is able to be inventoried.  All the jobs I have created that use this device have worked at times.  I actually created a job for each Hyper-V server because when there was only one job it seemed if any server was not responding the whole job would not work.  I have been usually able to reboot the backup or Hyper-V server and sucessfully start the job but I tried a few again yesterday and current operation says none, job status says queued and elapsed time is over 23 hours.

CraigV

OK...inventory works. Does a small, new backup job work?

If not, could be time to check the configuration of how your VM is connecting to your SAN via Hyper-V.

Quagmire2
Level 2

I tried and changed all the jobs that used the device I was using to another device so that I could delete and recreate the device.  Now the jobs are working with the device I just recreated.