cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup is corrupting files

Michael_Christl
Level 2
I have a server running window 2003 standard edition. This server is a Domain Controller, which of course runs Active Directory, DNS, & WINS. The server host all my network drives too. The server seems to be getting corrupt files on it after every Friday when my full back up runs. The only way to fix this is do a check disk with repair option on that partition. I am getting frustrating because it takes 3 hours to do the check disk, and when you have to do it every friday so the full back will run properly; that is alot of time spent on this. I have a feeling Backup Exec is causing this. The only software on the server that is not Microsoft is Symantec Corprate ed. Antivirus client, Backup Exec client, & Java.

Questions: Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know what to do to fix it.
6 REPLIES 6

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

By corrupt files, you mean that after the Friday backup runs, its not possible to open these files.?

What types of files are these?

Is it possible to read these files after check disk has run?

Are all these files open or active when the backup job is running?

Are you using Advanced Open File Option?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Selma_Gjeset
Level 4
Could it be a hardware problem? That it's in fact the increased disk access that is causing the problem?

Michael_Christl
Level 2
That is correct after the full back-up on Friday the files seem to corrupt. By this I mean the OS on the taskbar has a triangle with an explanation point in it shows up. I then says file D:\folder1\folder2\folder3 is corrupt " Please run check disk to fix this problem".

It always happens after the Friday night back. And once the OS says they are corrupt; their is no way of getting into the folder.

Most of the files are just MS documents i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, & maybe an email (.eml).

Yes these files are fully readable after the checkdisk /R.

I am using the Open File Option. However these file could be open, there is not telling. The files that are currently corrupt were not open during the back up.

Michael_Christl
Level 2
It is possible that it could be a hardware issue.

My current hardware config is a :
-- Dell 2650 server
-- Dual Xeno Processors
-- 2 Gig ECC Memory
-- Raid 5 with three drives
-- split into two partition the C:\ size of 10Gig, D:\ size of 200 Gig
-- Raid controller which connects to a IBM Shark,
with a partition created on it, F:\ size of 390 Gig.

Software
-- 2003 Server Standard ed. No Patches applied. - Plann on fully patching it Sat, & Sunday
-- 6 Mapped drives to folders listed in D:\ & F:\ Partitions.

What i have done so far is run checkdisk /R and checkdisk /F.

Ran Dell's Open manager and scanned the hard ware raid for bad sectors.
Each of this had found no problems with the hardware.

The raid controller is adaptec which has a disk utility accessed by hitting CTRL +A during boot up and i can run a check disk there. I have not done this yet.

Since each drive is 73 Gig this might take uppward of 6 hours. Six hours is a lot of down time.

As far as the increased disk access causing this it could be a problem. I have made suggestions to the "Powers that be" to remove the file from the server place them on a NAS or on seperate server.

Joshua_Small_2
Level 4
Hi Michael,

I would suggest removing Symantec Antivirus and seeing what happens.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.