Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job fails with "unrecognised media"

Willi56
Level 2
Partner

Hello,

I have the following configuration.

A server with vmware ESX 4.1 and a vrtuall machine on it with W2k8 R2 SP1 as guest-os.

Connected to the VM ist a Tape library with 2 LTO 4 Drives with SAS-Interface on a SAS-Controller LSI 1068.

Backup SW is Backup EXEC 2010 R3 (live update is done).

Under BE I can see the library and also the 2 drives. It is possible to import tapes and short erase is also possible with both drives.

When I start a Backup job with drive 1 it works without any problems, but when I start the same job with the second drive it fails

with "unrecognised media".

After that I set the drive 1 to "pause" and tried the Backup job again. Then it worked and finnished without any error.

Only when both drives are enabeld the drive 2 makes problems.

Do you have any ideas ?

Kind regards

Willi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To use 2 tape drives in a library, you need to have an additional LEO licence.  Do you have it?

It is not clear whether you have installed your BE in a VM.  If you did, it could also be the cause of your problem, there are quite stringent criteria for virtualising your media server with a tape drive.  Check this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To use 2 tape drives in a library, you need to have an additional LEO licence.  Do you have it?

It is not clear whether you have installed your BE in a VM.  If you did, it could also be the cause of your problem, there are quite stringent criteria for virtualising your media server with a tape drive.  Check this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609

Willi56
Level 2
Partner

Hello,

I have installed the 60 days testversion. I think the additional licence is included there.

The BE is installed in the VM and the library is set to multi lun.

I know, multi lun could make problems by using a FC-interface but SAS should work.

Is this wrong ?

Kind regards

Willi

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Willi: the base software is on a 60-day trial. To use anything else you need to enable it during the installation, or run through the licensing wizard again. As such< I doubt that your library is licensed in trial mode.

pkh's link shows that only the Adaptec cards are supported...if you don't have an Adaptec card, it won't work. This is an ESX configuration requirement, not BE...