Did you mean: 

Backup job hangs on pre-processing

Bas_Ganzevles
Level 2
Software: BE 9.1 rev. 4691
Backup unit: HP Ultrium 215
Server: Windows 2003 SBE with sp1.

Backup job hangs on pre-processing.

Already re-installed BE with latest updates.
Used new tapes.
Disabled AOF.
Restart the server.
Connect tape unit to other SCSI port.
New jobs hang also on pre-processing. No matter what the size is of the data to backup.

I've tried all the solutions named on this forum but non of these works.

Please help me.

Bas
19 REPLIES 19

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

What data are you backing up?

Please see the technote to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256287

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Bas_Ganzevles
Level 2
It doesn't matter what data is in the backup selection.
I've tried to backup one simple map but the job hangs on pre-processing.

I've tried the solution in the technote you included in the reply, but that doesn't work.

Normally it must backup Office data, Exchange data, SQL data.

The backup job did work in the past, but for some reason it now hangs on pre-processing.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Are you using Aofo to backup Exchange or SQL databases ? In that case deselect this option and then backup the databases.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Josh_Takacs
Level 3
I am having the same issue. Editing the registry key did not resolve the issue. If I remove the AOFO option the job runs immediately with no pre-processing hang. However I DO need to use AOFO. What can I do? This only seems to happen during a full backup using modified time.Message was edited by:
Josh Takacs

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Bas,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

James_Tonkinson
Level 3
Josh,
I too am having the same problem. If I de-select the ofa, the backup jobs occur as normal. But, I also do not want to disable the ofa. I support Police and Fire who work 24/7, and I don't want to have to tell them that sorry I can't restore your files because you had them.
For me the problems just started Monday, when my job locked up on me.
I tried selecting the microsoft snap shot option under ofa, but then my server rebooted itself overnight.....not good.

I hope someone has a good answer for us.

Jim Tonkinson
City of Rochester

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Bas,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Hello James,

What data is being backed up? Are you also backing up any databases like SQL, Exchange or Oracle or lotus?

Also, enable the option "Process logical volumes for backup one at a time" as mentioned in the document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269591

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

James_Tonkinson
Level 3
From this server, I am not backing up Exchange, SQL, Oracle, Lotus or similar. This is a NAS server functioning as a File Server (MS-Excel,Word, Access, etc). Since we are running ver 9.1, I made the registry change for "Process logical volumes". This server has 2 volumes (8 gig C: drive, and 300 gigs on D:) I am not backing up much of anything on the C drive.
afte the registry change, I did a small backup of the C drive, after selecting the open file mgr, and after a few minutes it took off and ran fine. I then selected a few small directories on the D drive of the server, with the same option. I let it sit there for 1 hour (at pre-processing), before I gave up and canceled the job. I then had to stop and start the be services.
Nothing hit the event log of the server.
So for now, I de-selected the open file mgr.
Other Suggestions?
Thanks
Jim Tonkinson

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What error are you getting in the event logs?

Any third party software or antivirus service is running during the backup?

Josh_Takacs
Level 3
I am not sure about Thomas, but I am not getting any errors in any log. I eventually have to cancel the job manually by shutting down all the services in Backup Exec. We have Symantec Corporate Anti Virus 10 running on all computers in the background, but this has never effected Veritas before. I have applied no updates to any major system component.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Could you pelase stop the Anti-virus while back up?

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Josh_Takacs
Level 3
The backup is an unattended backup that happens when no one is here. There is always the "live" protection. Do you want me to turn off just the server's Anti Virus? I am worried about turning off these services due to viral infections.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you try the Test Backup after stopping the Antivirus.

Thank You.

Josh_Takacs
Level 3
I will try...

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi,

Could you give us an update on that after you have stopped the Anti-Virus!

Josh_Takacs
Level 3
Still hangs on pre-processing...

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Click on "Tools" > "Wizards" > "Advanced Open File Option Wizard".

Enter the servername and credentials from which data is to be backed up.

In "Cache File Settings" -Check the "Use default" option.
In the "Advanced Open File Option Configuration" reduce the "Minimum Quite Time" to 3 seconds.

Complete the wizard and test the backup.

Also you may test a backup on a Backup to disk folder and compare the results.

Regards,
Padmaja

Josh_Takacs
Level 3
I have already reduced the time to 3 seconds and I have already tried backing up to disk folder. Same results...

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi All,

Also try backingup some data on Backup to Disk folders and check the performance.

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri