cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job never finishes / seems to hang

Robin_Johnson
Level 2
Hi There,

I have Backup Exec Version 10.0 Rev. 5484 running on Windows Server 2003.

For over a year, the backups have been running fine.

For the past week, however, I can't get a backup to complete.
The Byte Count and Elapsed time goes up to expected numbers, but then the byte count stops increasing and the time simply ticks on and on.

The backup does not respond to canceling, and our tape drive is not blinking as if it's being used.

I end up having to reset the backup services using Tools>Backup Exec Services... to make the backup finally stop.

When resetting the services, it seems that bengine.exe (Backup Exec Job Engine) doesn't quit on its own - I have to kill it manually.

Database maintenance runs every day at 4am, but does very little based on the report -- our database size is 9.34 mb. I have disabled the maintenance until this problem has been resolved for fear that the two operations might be interfering with each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

What data is being backed up? Are you backing any databases?

Does the backup work on backup to disk folder? Are there active alerts during backup?

You may also upgrade to 10d and install SP1:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279332.htm
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282818.htm

Reinstall remote agents after upgrade!

Thanks!

Robin_Johnson
Level 2
Hi -

>> What data is bieng backed up?
A perforce database and some local directories - nothing remote.

>>Are you backing any databases?
We might be backing up the MS sharepoint which uses sql. But the only database I know of is the perforce-created and maintained one.

>> Does the backup work on backup to disk folder?
Good question - I'll have to try that. Unfortunately, however, our disk doesn't have enough space to handle the backup. I'll have to setup a backup over network or something...

>> Are there active alerts during backup?
At one point I would get the database optimization "information" alert. I disabled that feature, and now I get Media Information alerts - "Overwriting allocated media..." Which is fine, since I've been trying to write to one tape successfully for a while. (The tape and our media rules support overwriting.

I'd like to upgrade to 10d as a last resort, as "it was just working the other week" (tm) ....

Thank you for your insights. If you have any more please share!

On my end, I'm going to try to backup to a network drive.

Thanks

Alaric_Scott
Level 3
What alerts (if any) are you getting? I have the same issue with a tape drive that for some reason the software won't recognize when it ejects (even though it does eject.) I constantly get an alert to "remove the media" and until I click OK on that it won't let me cancel or complete or do anything with the backup...

Robin_Johnson
Level 2
Here's 1:

>>>Media Overwrite Protection is configured to overwrite allocated media.

Here's another one that I get every time I unfreeze the backup by restarting the services:

>>>The Backup Exec Serer Service was started by

Here is the database matainence message:

>>>>Database Maintenance Information: Summary of database maintenance activiity: * saved contents of BEDB database. *Optimized BEDB database size from 9.19 MB to 9.19 MB

None of these seem to be pertinent to it freezing though.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Robin,

The Backup Exec Version 10.1 build 5629 is the latest version of Backup Exec.

* Start the installation over the existing installation. You need not uninstal the earlier version.

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629 for Windows Servers Installation Files

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

You only need to reinstall the remote agents:

Here is the link:

How to perform a local installation of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258982

John_Novotny
Level 3
> What alerts (if any) are you getting? I have the
> same issue with a tape drive that for some reason the
> software won't recognize when it ejects (even though
> it does eject.) I constantly get an alert to "remove
> the media" and until I click OK on that it won't let
> me cancel or complete or do anything with the
> backup...

Just wondering if you ever got the eject tape notification issue resolved? I am having the same problem you did, and since the thread ends, I don't know if you got it resolved or not. If you found a solution, I would be most interested.

Thanks

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

John_Novotny
Level 3
I went into the Help button, and searched for all the available updates. This included SP1, and all the hotfixed for my version. After I installed them all, now the problem seems to have resolved itself. The tape now ejects AND the job also finishes.

Thanks

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Thankyou for the update . As the issue is resolved we shall close this case.

Thanks