cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job running frever

atilla
Level 2
Well.. I tried contacting somebody at Symantec but was put on hold for over an hour (and counting). I have an exchange server that I'm backing with a disk-to-disk backup and it has been running for two days (for 30GB of total data). The servers are connected across a single 100mb switch, and all interfaces are pinned 100mb full duplex. Any ideas why it's taking forever?
5 REPLIES 5

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Has it made any progress?
Has it spat out the tape and sat there waiting for your to insert another one?
Is the status "running", or "preprocessing" or similar?
Anything on your alerts tab?

I would suggest setting all jobs with an "automaticalyl cancel job if running for more than X hours" schedule.

atilla
Level 2
Thanks for the reply, Joshua.

The job is backing up to a backup-to-disk folder because when I tried using my tape autoloader to back up a linux server the jobs were taking a super long time to run so I decided to take it out of the equation. It's been running for 71 hours and is 10GB thru the backup. Both this eschange server and a linux server I tested are backing up at the same rate. The report says it's backing up at 2.0MB/minute and is showing slooow progress. Is there a way to make the job run at a higher transfer rate? Both servers have gigabit cards and they're connected via a gigabit switch that is being used solely for testing backup exec. MRTG shows that the switch is practically idling. Other things like copying files from one server to the other using shares take place extremely quickly.

atilla
Level 2
btw - nothing on the alerts tab beside nightly backup exec database maintenance messages and the job is listed as 'running' in the job monitor.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Are you backing up individual mailboxes, or just the entire mailbox store?
Do you have GRT enabled?

I would remove GRT and legacy mailbox issues from the equation, by performing a backup of just your Information Store.

BTW, if you're still on hold, you've probably got 3-4 more hours to go.

Todd_Henry
Level 4
I've run into this same problem multiple times on a serer housing our phone system.  The elapsed time continues, the byte count stops incrementing, and no tape drive activity.  I cancelled the job and nothing happened and was forced to stop the BE services, shut off my tape loader, turn on the tape loader, eject the tape, and restart the BE services.

My issue still exists and I managed to find out that this file/folder is what was causing the job to hang, \\servername\c:\WINNT\system32\Wbem\regevent.mof.  I've also noted a ton of DCOM errors 10010 in the event viewer on this server during the BE backup.

I've also seen problems trying to backup the system state on this same service that was caused by WMI errors.  However, after numerous attempts to "fix" WMI on the server I cannot find anything wrong with it.  I'd check to make sure this isn't your problem or at least get the job to stop so you can try to diagnose the issue further.