cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job suddenly took longer to complete than usual

James_Tan_2
Level 3
Hi all,
I am experiencing a weird problem on my Ultrium 960, connected to its own HBA card on
Win2k3.

The backup job on one fine day suddenly took 15-16 hrs to complete. Before this, my backup
of 350GB took 9 hrs at a throughput of 800-900MB/min. I have zoomed it down to the E drive in the same server the Ultrium is attached. When i did a backup test on E drive only, throughput was at only 20-30MB/min. I cant think for the life of me, why the backup slows down on this E drive. The server was rebooted with the Ultrium
and still problem exists. Backing up remote servers is fine. The E drive contains the user
profiles and home drives.

I have checked for any services that is causing the slowness but all are ok.A new tape was
used as well and the HP LTT tools indicate my tape library is working fine, together with
the media.

Are there any checks, test or solution? Anyone encountered this before? Please help.

Regards,
James "Distressed"

1 REPLY 1

James_Tan_2
Level 3
To add on:

the backup job settings was not changed in any way. I have checked through the following:

Reasons why the data throughput rate can be slower than the theoretical maximum when backing up to tape media http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/231488.htm

How to correct slow backup performance, slow virus or pre-job scans, and agent initialization problems on fragmented Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 server partitions

What Backup Exec settings can be modified to reduce the amount of time it takes for a backup to run?

It doesnt help me as i am able to backup other data and remote servers fine.